1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I was VERY wrong

Discussion in 'Personal' started by WB, Mar 25, 2020.

1. WB

WB Senior commenter

I posted this message about Covid a few weeks ago on a thread here:

I intend to get out as much as possible and enjoy the quiet roads.

As I'm 50 and have survived numerous apocalyptic scares over the years I consider myself to be living proof (literally) that the prophets of doom have a slight tendency to exaggerate.

It's possible that I'm immortal I suppose, but how can you safely test this?

I was VERY wrong.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Well done for admitting you got it wrong at first.

Now, let's see if Trump follows suit!

TheoGriff likes this.
  3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Thank you for this WB. You are, so far as I have seen, the only poster who has acknowledged that they were wrong to minimise the virulence of this virus.

4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Things could take a serious change next week if kits are available to test if you have had the disease.

There is quite a decent chance huge numbers of us have - and are arguably immortal as you put it - due to the anti bodies in our system.

Remember, when you wrote that and only a few weeks ago probably most if not all of those who felt a bit run down or with a slight fever, just slept it off as we normally do.

They may well have had the virus.

5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

6. WB

WB Senior commenter

It seemed a bit like ebola a few years ago.

Awful but somethong that happens in less developed countries; won't impact me - what's for tea?

It's a different world today. Actually the same world for many but different for the lucky few who live in the developed world.

I need to have good think and about my values and how I see the world when this is over.

7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Thank you for this. I got quite a lot of sneering and contempt a few weeks ago, not from you, but from others who thought I was making things up, or exaggerating. More people understand now.

8. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

I think it’s human nature to minimise risk! We were told to avoid talking about Coronavirus and if we did, play it down so as not to scare the kids...

now I fear that is why there are so many kids on the streets, refusing to quarantine themselves and enforce social distancing...

9. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I wish I could have posted!
    Anyway I hope everyone is taking it seriously now.

10. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I’ll be honest my attitude a few weeks ago was this was ‘a bit of flu’ with an ‘overreaction from a snowflake generation.’ The death numbers (500,000 in UK?) if we did nothing vs the below 20,000 dead in UK target that social distancing and other measures will give us polarised my opinion that yes, actually this is very serious and it needs a serious response, with the knowledge that the exponential spread of viruses as the often showed graphic shows literally implying something as simple as not visiting a friend literally saving a life down the line.
    Sadly, I’m not sure Trump understands the seriousness of it.

11. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Great post totally agree

Jamvic likes this.
  12. WB

WB Senior commenter

I think this applies the economy, health care and crayons.

13. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

You weren't the only one ;)

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I was discussing this over the garden fence today with a neighbour who said 4 weeks ago all the talk was of a 'flu-like' disease. Many people , me included, thought well that's not too bad then and others, many of whom have never experienced genuine flu as opposed to very heavy colds thought, 'No worries there then'.

Whereas we now realize it's much more akin to a disease like Cystic fibrosis *I believe not being a scientific person or any medical knowledge) which actually attacks the lungs. That's much more serious than flu. And why people really do need to take notice.

15. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

My view was 'doctors and scientists are telling us that a godawful thing is going to happen. WE NEED TO LISTEN TO THEM AND HELP'.

16. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I didn't post, but I so buy into the sentiments expressed above. :oops:

After all, my parents and grandparents survived the Spanish 'flu and we are so much more healthy than they were.

However, I will stick to one of my beliefs-scientists. They should not be followed blindly as their predecessors did tell us the world was flat!!

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

That bloody idiot doesn't know his SARS from his Ebola.

18. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Very different to CF, which is genetic and now quite well understood although treatment is still not perfect. The effects of CF extend beyond the respiratory tract.

19. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:D:D

20. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

I have huge respect for you for this post. We all will be re-assessing our values now. Just think a few weeks ago we were fussing about Ofsted “deep dives” !! They are as nothing now and to be honest never will be again.