1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I was told in a school I am the first supply they have had in since september

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by is2, Jan 22, 2016.

1. is2

is2 Occasional commenter

I have had some albeit extremely piecemeal supply work in comparison to previous years this year.
    I was at a school today. The teacher I was covering for stated this I was the only supply teacher they had hired this year, as they simply cannot afford for people to take time off, go on course or have any other absence as they will risk going into serious debt if they hire us.
    I am told that this schools and others budgets are going to considerably slashed yet more next academic year.
    It is really scary what is happening in the world of supply teaching this academic year.

2. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Do you mean that this was the fist supply this school had used for this academic year? It would not surprise me.

is2 likes this.
  3. is2

is2 Occasional commenter

Yes, that's right. The only day that one had been brought in.

4. watermelongirl65

watermelongirl65 New commenter

If supply via agencies is costing the school too much then surely that works in our (supply teachers ) favour. That is to say that the school may be more likely to hire us if we were to drop in our CV and details to the school directly? And after today's agency antics that is what I am seriously considering doing.

5. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Without any figures to show if rates of absenteeism are down, we can't know if teachers are simply soldiering on through sickness to avoid spiteful management victimsing staff who take time out. Posts in Workplace Dilemmas indicate that this is also a contributing factor.
    School leaders are having to absorb a 12 percent cut in funding. They are pushing staff out and not replacing them resulting in classes of 30+ .
    Supply has become an expensive luxury.

is2 likes this.
  6. is2

is2 Occasional commenter

I deploy this method anyway.
    It seems it is not about agencies, schools cannot afford supply full stop.