1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I was just about to create a post about flooding when...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Nellyfuf2, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Established commenter

Well I was, but then that thread about Greta has popped up and got all heated. Bit like the planet eh?
    But looking at the floods around Snaith and East Cowling I felt horrified. One bungalow was submerged up to the roof line. It must have once been pleasantly situated with a view over the river and the ings. Name of the fields might have been a clue......
    So many people have been effected. Or affected. One or the other.
    So many fine old properties on the banks of the Severn have been ruined. The old market towns by the crossing places.
    But we are no strangers to floods where I stand. Our main road was flooded with the first storm. People went out on it in canoes. The Aire can get unruly in various parts of this city. Then there's Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd. Otley and Ilkley. Rotherham last year. Doncaster.
    It don't make headlines does Snaith. We are flood weary and want to know all about Coronavirus. It's as if we can't take in too much disaster and so are more interested in the posssibility of total plagues than we are in the fact that our country is becoming a tad damp around the rivers.
    It becomes apparent that these properties once so beautifully situated will soon have to be abandoned. It's not the loss of possessions. It's the fact that we have to think very carefully about spending what little coin we have, on flood barriers, or on relocating people to higher ground. My lively imagination sees not just the British Isles, but what remains of the British Isles still above water. The British Isles, islands.
    I would like to think its just a blip and normal service will soon be resumed.
    But with the loss of ice up there in the far north, well, it had to go somewhere.
    I really think HS2 is a bad idea. Relocating the capital? Sensible probably.
    We have so many fens and reclaimed marshlands. London for example.
    Of course, the storms and the water. It might all be co incidence. But if you check out those other places, ie the rest of the planet. there's a lot of weather going on there. With loss of life. Not just possessions.
    Goes off to find some kind of waterproof packaging for family photos and documents......

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    butties and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this situation @Nellyfuf2

There is now official discussion of the fact that some areas will have to be abandoned.

This is the reality of climate change. It will be hard to adapt to as it will not be stable going forward as the temperature continues to rise.

I hope things improve for you soon.

butties and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Nellyfuf2

I am a good height above our local Beck. But as I watch the media coverage, or the lack of it in the case of Snaith, I feel damp, cold and scared. It was all floods then suddenly - it's all virus. Yes yes, virus certainly.
    But the reality of constant flooding is so real for some communities in Yorkshire. You would have to be some good ostrich not to see what's happening.

4. katiejane1

katiejane1 New commenter

I live near snaith, luckily unaffected myself, bar my route to work now being considerably longer- but I have never seen anything like it. Each day another part has flooded- it has now taken out several of the smaller surrounding villages as well. I feel so sorry for those whose homes and businesses have been affected.

butties likes this.
  5. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Nothing new in Yorkshire...been happening well before man appeared on the scene. This was 1947...that climate change gets around.
    unnamed (1).jpg

6. Nellyfuf2

Yes of course. It is a gradual incline ... a slippery slope, so I suppose.
    But it would be sensible, on a just in case basis, to consider where all these thousands of new homes we need - where they are to be built. Which becomes a little bit more problematic when it might also be necessary to remove other people who are a tad close to where water collects.....
    But of course, there is no rush. (Don't what to upset Kandahar or others). But it won't hurt to bear it in mind. Just in case. Otherwise we might just be using up more of the world's finite resources in building in the wrong place at the wrong time.

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

My friend lives in the flooded bungalow. It's absolutely devastating. I've got two other friends in Snaith who are flooded out. They're from my choir and we're wondering what we can best do to help. Any suggestions? Another friend was flooded in 2000 and I asked her what she would have appreciated. She said that she was just so shocked that really nothing would have made any difference.

emerald52 likes this.
  8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

I used to enjoy getting my lunch from lower marsh in London. When you say relocating the capital, do you mean moving the seat of government? Surely if you move MPs to an area that is less prone to flooding there is a risk they'll do less about flood prevention.

Nellyfuf2 likes this.
  9. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

I've been saying this for many decades. That is more or less all we can do.

10. Nellyfuf2

Relocate the capital to Yorkshire but leave Parliament at Westminster?

Kandahar likes this.
  11. Nellyfuf2

That's awful about your friend Doitforfree. I read about them on the internet. I hope they had insurance or that they will get some aid. But they won't want to go home. Not now. It must be the stuff of nightmares, to see your home and everything you own, completely submerged like that. Maybe a charity choir performance to raise some money for immediate needs just to show you understand?

12. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The local paper is coordinating help for them. It's about the most useful thing they've ever done!

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We had an absolutely torrential downpour this morning about 8 am.

Will it ever stop raining ?

14. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

It's your job to predict.

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Am I Michael Fish now as well ?

Kandahar likes this.
  16. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Possibly, given one of his predictions.