1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I was a Rat

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jemosamc, Jul 20, 2015.

1. jemosamc

jemosamc New commenter

Has anyone done this as a class based text for Literacy? I've got Y5 and am thinking of this as our first book - I can only think of information texts so far on Rats. Any other ideas?

Thanks

2. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents - Terry Pratchett. My class always loved Pratchett's stories (as did the TA)

And what's that one about NIMH - ex lab rats helping a fieldmouse. It'll come to me.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Was it Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh?

The Terry Pratchett one sound interesting too and one I've not come across. I wasn't aware he'd done a lot of children's books, other than Diggers, Truckers and the Wee Free Men. Shall have to investigate!

Not read 'I was a Rat' myself but surely the theme of acceptance, being different and the link to a traditional 'Cinderella' fairy tale must be possibilities?

4. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

Visual Literacy: Ratatouille

5. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

The very one. It's a very long time since I've read it probably 20 + years ago. I also think there may have been an animated film made.

Do investigate, they are a hoot!

6. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

I've done I Was a Rat as a guided reading text - I love it. It would be great for journalistic writing - there's biased newspapers throughout. You could also write other twisted fairy tales / fairy tales from a minor character's point of view. Discussion texts around animal testing? It's a very rich text and there is absolutely loads you could do with it.

7. FCarpenter

FCarpenter New commenter

Get someone with a pet rat to bring it in and tell the children how lovely rats are! Rats are persecuted creatures in our society, regarded as a pest. Teach them young that it's not so!

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

On my allotment and if the come into my house i certainly go for the kill where rats are concerned.

Its part of the silliness of our society in which we attribute human values to animals.

9. jemosamc

jemosamc New commenter

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions - our main topic is Peasants, Princes and Pestilence - hence something to do with Rats!! I shall look into what you've recommended. :)

10. jemosamc

jemosamc New commenter

I've just found some cheap copies of the books - I shall read them over the summer!

Thank you :)