1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I want to work in a school..

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Feb 1, 2011.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

with normal, ordinary, polite pupils; appreciative managers and the chance to do a decent job.
    Please.
    There must be one out there somewhere...

2. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Let me know when you find one!

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

There's quite a few, but you have to work supply for a while to find them.

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I can only hope...

5. And me!

6. Giraffe, I plan to do a sit-in at curlygirl's school until she gives me a job... One day I will drive north and do it!

7. But the supply teachers keep saying there's no work ...
    Catch-22.

8. magic surf bus

Fair comment, but after a year of daily uncertainty I've found three nice schools that I get regular work in. It's a bit of a gamble I admit - not for the faint-hearted or the deeply in debt ;-)

9. Now you're just rubbing our noses in it [​IMG]

10. magic surf bus

Ah but nothing lasts forever - the world will turn and things will change I'm sure.

11. My school fulfils all the criteria. There are downsides to everything though - it doesn't pay particularly well! But worth it for good days at work... Mostly.

12. I love my school! 16 teachers....all friendly, staff meetings are fun.....kids arent' perfect but there's only 130 of them, and the discipline back-up is amazing when you do have problems! [​IMG] sorry!

13. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

'discipline back-up'
    What's that?

14. We have a teacher who's official title is "Director of Students' . If there are persistent problems with one disruptive child in a class, then she will have an interview with that child, contact the parents, tell them that their child is being put on a Level One behavior monitoring card for a week...... if the child persists in misbehaving they are given a week of litter duty, and moved onto an upper level of monitoring card. If they reach a level 5...ie. consistently poor behavior, they face expulsion....... I also have a list on my desk of the timetable of where the senior classes are being held.... Any problems with year 7 or 8 disruption...I can send them with work to a senior class, so that i can continue to teach the others who do want to learn.
    We have also recently installed a new computer programme for behaviour, so that good behaviour and poor behaviour can be posted, so that all the staff are aware of any problems......that's what I mean! I have worked in a school where there were very little consequences for poor behavior...this is bliss! That's what I mean by full back up with discipline issues. All the teachers are supported by senior management and we are not expected to tolerate continual misbehaviour. We are aiming to maintain a positive learning environment. I like it!

15. ROSIEGIRL

Bliss indeed!

16. Thanks Rosie! It has its stresses too, as does any teaching job...but on the whole I'd rather be at this school than anywhere else! It' beats my last school where i was sworn at on a daily basis!

17. ROSIEGIRL

I'm so tired of lessons where 20% of the class get about 90% of my attention because of their rude behaviour. I'm working hard to improve this and to try and give the well behaved kids a fair deal but it's an uphill slog some days.

18. That sounds bad. I didn't mean to imply that it's perfect here...there's still some rough days when i have the larger groups of 30 pupils.........not 'bad' as such but very chatty! I teach music, so most of the time junior classes are split into smaller groups, so I usually have class sizes of 14-16 pupils...last school i had feral classes of 25+ and I used to come home in tears, after having three of these in one day! Practically had a nervous breakdown at every holiday...I DO feel much more supported here xx

19. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I found a lovely school - through supply. Still had to be interviewed and it wasn't a walk over by any means. I've done my fair share elsewhere - one really sh11ty head, other schools with difficult kids (but rewarding too). I'm staying put!!!!!