1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

I want to train a PGCE/GTP student

Discussion in 'Independent' started by nmadison, Sep 8, 2011.

  1. I am a HOD (Theatre Studies) at an independent school in Berkshire and I am very interested in "giving back" as it were and see training and mentoring as the best way to do this.
    How do I go about signing up to take on GTP/PGCE students training in Drama?
    many thanks
  2. florian gassmann

    florian gassmann Star commenter

    For PGCE, first check that your HT is happy to have a PGCE student. Then contact the drama tutors at your local establishments that run PGCE courses to discuss whether your school would be suitable.
    Do keep in mind that some tutors and students will not want to study for a PGCE in the independent sector. Also, remember that a poor student can create mayhem in the department, which could seriously increase your workload. A really good student, of course, can be a real asset.
    I've not had experience of GTP, but it is considerably more complex as your school will have to pay the GTP student an unqualified teacher's salary. The Training and Development Agency for Schools (TDA) will only make a contribution to this for maintained schools, so it is rare to find GTP offered in the independent sector. If you do decide to explore that route, contact one of the Designated Recommending Bodies (DRBs) in your area.
    http://www.gtpteachers.co.uk/ may be able to help with contacts.

Share This Page