1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I want to teach Maths in Secondary schools but am from an FE back ground. How do i switch ?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by Rob-Teacher, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Hi there i wonder if anyone can help me. I am studying to gain my QTLS
    status by completing a Diploma in Teching in the Lifelong Learning
    sector. I have already passed the Certificate (CTLLS) and am about to
    undergo the Diploma in September. I really want to move into main stream
    education and teach Maths. I have always been quite good at it and
    enjoy working things out. I have tutored my daughter through her GCSE's
    and loved every minute of it. I currently have a Level 2 in Adult
    Numeracy but am not sure if i need A levels to teach at GCSE level. I
    understand the Wolf report allowed a vocation teacher in an FE college
    to teach in schools but i am told that does not allow me to teach main
    stream subjects like Maths. My question is what qualifications do i need
    to become a Maths teacher and are there any bridging courses that allow
    me to go from QTLS to QTS. Any help on this would be really
    appreciated!

2. I think I would ask - would you employ you if you were head of maths looking for a new teacher at this stage of your carear? The likely answer is there are going to be so many candidates with better qualifications. The Numeracy level 2 is sooooo not anywhere as broad as the GCSE and you do not have that yet. So your credibility (on paper) to teach at A level is a little strained.
    Also you haven't completed DTLLS yet and are probably 18 months away from QTLS so realistically you are way off transfering to the compulsory sector as a teacher. Subsequent to the Wolf report Gove has said that teachers with QTLS will be able to work in a school so a bridging course won't actually be needed.
    Perhaps while you are taking DTLLS you worked in parallel to get GCSE Higher grade and then applied to work in a cover supervisor position you would gain the grass roots experience working with kids so your CV looks a little stronger when eventually applying for jobs. If you find a supportive school and they put you on a Registered Teacher program you could make up the missing 240 credits toward a degree (assuming you don't have one). If you do, then there are paths to QTS which again a supportive school will assist with. The trick is to get into mainstream education first.

3. I do have a GCSE in maths albeit only a C but i am aiming to teach upto GSCE level. I thought that an A Level in Maths would show that i am capable and understand what i am teaching but was unsure whether it was necessary or not. Other teachers i ask say that if i complete and gain QTS then i wouldnt need any other qualifications. I am aware that i have some time to go but wanted to see if i needed to take another course along side the DTLLS so that when I qualify i will be up to date.
    I was under the impresion the Wolf report stated that i could only teach my vocational subject in schools and mainstream education was different.
    Thank you for all your advise so far but I am still unsure whether to do the A Level in Maths or not. So will QTLS status allow me to move and teach Maths?

4. QTLS on it's own plus a grade C in Maths GCSE isn't going to compete very well at the paper sifting stage prior to an interview. They may also wonder why you couldn't get better than a grade C?
    If you've not had experience of handling kids - or even working in a school, then you start to look like someone who might not get to interview. If you teach FE part time then maybe you could look around for a part time cover supervisor job. You need to stay in FE/Adult Ed for a while to get your 75 hours to evidence for DTLLS.
    Could you take the GCSE Higher again as an external candidate to try bump up the score?
    - Brian.

5. I got a C 20 years ago and will definitely take what ever exam or course I need to allow me to teach. Obviously my Maths skills have improved tenfold. I teach full time at a college and teach the Young Apprenticeship scheme which are 14-16 year olds. I teach over 30 hours a week so it will be plenty for my DTLLS qualification. I am told the last piece of the DTLLS's qualification should take another 14 months. I am very good at dealing with low achievers and can communicate with the problematic learners very well and have got a proven track record. I teach a lot of Maths as I teach Motor Vehicle Technology. I have had students say I wish you taught me in school as you make sense. I have a real flare for Maths and feel I can inspire learners to achieve to the best of their ability. So should I just retake my exam at GCSE level or should I attempt to get an A level in Maths. Once again I really appreciate your advise!

6. Please excuse the grammar and spelling as I am trying to type this on an IPhone and it is auto correcting me when I do not want it to. Thanks

7. Well I think you should do whatever maximises your chances consistant with the time you have available for study on top of your DTLLS and other commitments.

There are bound to be school employees on your DTLLS course and perhaps they could put you in touch with their Head of Maths to ask the question "would you employ a maths teacher with just a GCSE".
    (unless there is a Head of Maths haunting this forum who wants to chip in).
    - Brian

8. I used to be head of maths in a secondary school before moving to FE. Whenever I interviewed for new staff all were qaulified to degree level or better, most in mathematics. A teacher has just left my college to become a maths teacher in a secondary school. She has a PHd in Astrophysics. All I'm trying to highlight is the fact that there's still competition, even though it's a shortage subject.
    In saying that, I worked with a teacher 10 years ago who gained a maths degree through OU whilst teaching maths to GCSE, therefore it's not impossible.
    With just a C at Higher Level and level 2 Numeracy I would doubt I'd take the application seriously. For me, it all depends on your teaching experience. You would need to be clear what specific areas you teach. Is there a specification/ syllabus for the maths content within your mechanics course? if so, how does it relate to the the GCSE syllabus?
    I would strongly recommend getting A level, if not Further Maths during your remaining time. It would be difficult but it depends how determined you are.
    Remember, I am just one person with an opinion. Why not ring some local schools and chat to some HoDs. I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

9. Thank you so much guys for all your advise and support. It seems obvious now that an A Level and Degree is the way forward. OU sounds like a good plan.
    Many thanks
    Rob