1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I want to teach Food Technology but my degree is different...HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by anisab123, May 17, 2011.

1. My degree is in Tourism, i currently am employed as a cover supervisor....i have been in this role for a few years now and have decided that i am ready for the next hurdle. I intially started this role with prospects of progessing towards a PGCE or GTP. I was told that i would have to teach geography because my degree is a branch of that, however i have always been happier doing practical things like textiles and food technolgy. How do i go about making this happen!? Any thoughts please...thank you kindly!

2. Hi there
    There are what we call Subject Knowledge Enhancement Courses available, although you'd need to check with the TDA to see whether they hold them in the courses you are looking for. I have a friend whose degree is in Humanities, but she wants to teach Maths (Maths is her hobby) so she found a training provider to take her on. It's really tough going as you have subject knowledge to gain as well as teaching practice/experience - not for the faint hearted!
    Of course, there's nothing to stop you getting QTS as a geography teacher, and once established in school ask to teach Art or Food. My husband is a Science teacher and he also teaches Maths and Citizenship.
    I'm just about to commence teacher training in English but I've spent the last 20 years working in business, so it's natural for me to want to teach business studies as a second subject.
    This URL will take you straight to the TDA's section on SKEC - http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/subject-information-enhancement/age-groups/teaching-secondary/boost-subject-knowledge/ske-courses.aspx
    Best of luck

eannie

3. Thank you! I checked the link you provided and unfortunately these is nothing suitable....