1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I want to teach abroad, but I've got no idea where to start!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Afra, Nov 13, 2011.

1. I'm in need of some advice and inspiration... I am in my third year of teaching English. According to most international job adverts, this means that I now qualify to apply. The problem is, I've got no idea where to go, or what I'm looking for. I have a partner and he teaches French, and we obviously want to go together, but I don't know how this could happen. I have no idea of how the procedure works if my applications are successful. Do we have to arrange accommodation and visas? Is it people like me who are taking on these roles? Will we be able to go as a couple? I've been inspired by my friend and colleague who recently emigrated to NZ. I'm tired and frustrated by teaching in the UK, and at 25, I want to take the opportunity to life and work abroad for a couple of years. The jobs on TES are usually China or United Arab Emirates - does anyone know where I would look for jobs elsewhere in the world? I would really like to hear from people who have taught abroad and about their experiences. I have no idea where to start, and your advice would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance

2. I'm in need of some advice and inspiration... I am in my third year of teaching English. According to most international job adverts, this means that I now qualify to apply. The problem is, I've got no idea where to go, or what I'm looking for. I have a partner and he teaches French, and we obviously want to go together, but I don't know how this could happen. I have no idea of how the procedure works if my applications are successful. Do we have to arrange accommodation and visas? Is it people like me who are taking on these roles? Will we be able to go as a couple? I've been inspired by my friend and colleague who recently emigrated to NZ. I'm tired and frustrated by teaching in the UK, and at 25, I want to take the opportunity to life and work abroad for a couple of years. The jobs on TES are usually China or United Arab Emirates - does anyone know where I would look for jobs elsewhere in the world? I would really like to hear from people who have taught abroad and about their experiences. I have no idea where to start, and your advice would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

The airport is usually a good place.
    All joking aside, my advice would be to spend a couple of weeks reading the threads posted on this forum over the course of a year or so. Some will be relevant, some completely off kilter and some might make you think why you even want to go abroad and associate with those nutters.
    Once you have some idea of what it is like out there, come back and ask some specific questions. You will get ( generally ) some very good and sound advice. Between the contributors on here, we have worked in most of the countries of the world from the greatest to the most god-forsaken.
    Some have even worked in Scotland.
    Good luck and all the best.

4. I'm hurt.

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I'm heartbroken.

6. Hi Afra

I feel the same....But I want to teach in the ICT UAE.....I guess it's doing loads of research.... good luck.

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Dear Afra,
    Some of the replies you have received so far have not been teribly helpful. Anyway, I have sent you a PM (that is one of those little message things) and I will do my best to answer any questions you may have re. the exciting (and at times frustrating) world of international education. Mrs Hippo and I have been teaching overseas since 1998, mostly in the Middle East but also in one or two other places as well.
    The Hippo