1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I want to resign tomorrow

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by purplewetmonkey, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Hi - I need advice about what is legally required regarding resignation. My hand has been forced today to resign from a school in which I have worked for 8 years. If you want to know the details basically the head and I never got on. I have just been rejected after interviewing for a post which I had, very successfully, carried out in an acting role for the last 7 months. It's time to move on.

If I hand in my resignation tomorrow, how long am I legally obliged to work? I've tried to search for information with little success: any direct information or direction to websites that will give me the information would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance, Monkey.

PS Which supply companies do you recommend in London?

2. Hi - I need advice about what is legally required regarding resignation. My hand has been forced today to resign from a school in which I have worked for 8 years. If you want to know the details basically the head and I never got on. I have just been rejected after interviewing for a post which I had, very successfully, carried out in an acting role for the last 7 months. It's time to move on.

If I hand in my resignation tomorrow, how long am I legally obliged to work? I've tried to search for information with little success: any direct information or direction to websites that will give me the information would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance, Monkey.

PS Which supply companies do you recommend in London?

3. You would have to stay until December (unless they released you early, but if you don't get on with the head, unlikely) I'm afraid.
    Good supply agencies in London I found were Tradewind and Protocol, but know others haven't found this to be the case, so I think its swings and roundabouts.

4. i thought it was half a term notice, so you may be able to go october. ask the unions

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No it will be December now, without breaking your contract.

It might be time to move on, but be very careful about resigning and then looking for a new post. There are a great many people on the supply and jobseekers forum who have done that and then not found another post for years, some not at all. Supply isn't as frequently used these days either and so you may end up taking a massive paycut for a very long time. It is also much easier to get a post when you are in a post, especially for those high up on the payscale.

You may well be wanting to go, but as you have to stay until December you really would be better off looking for a new post and then resigning when you have somewhere to go.

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Resignation dates - By 31st October to leave 31st December - By 28th February to leave 30th April - By 31st May to leave 31st August.

7. One of the many problems is getting a reasonable reference, which your Head might give you if he wants to get rid of you. However, if your Head is of the bully variety, then he would not do this, as your replacement might stand up to him. Hitting the school in the pocket might work, if you took some protracted sick leave, but this, too, has many pitfalls.
    I have not found that any of the agencies in London are any good, at all. To date, I have registered with a couple of dozen, with only six days work found me. Although I have been with TW for eight months and they have yet to find me any work, they were honest in telling me that it would difficult to get my work, as the have difficulty in marketing older teachers.
    However you feel, do nothing in haste. At least you have an income, without which your problems will rapidly multiply!

8. jellycowfish

jellycowfish New commenter

I echo the above - I've been looking for ANY employment since Oct last year, and although there are jobs, the average number of applicants has been 150. One job had 275 - that was just for a 1 year temp contract. I'm convinced I've been blacklisted in my local authority, and I'm also expensive - not good for a school trying to juggle its budget. The only work I've managed to secure since then in 1-1 tuition in my children's school and through them a few afternoons of supply in another local school. I would take any job in any school at the moment - I honestly feel at the moment I would put up with any sh*t in a full time post, just as a means of getting another position. Resigning will jeopardise any ref I think - you'd get a much better one by sticking it out until another position comes up.

9. Thank you so much everyone. You have certainly given me food for thought.
    I definitely think I'll wait til the Oct resignation/ Dec leave dates. I will just have to swallow my pride re: a much less experienced and less able to do the job colleague that got the post I wanted. Very interesting about the supply situation too. I suppose it was 7 or 8 years ago I was doing quite well off supply work.