1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"I want to pick my pieces, I know best"

Discussion in 'Music' started by princess_moose, Feb 4, 2011.

1. I have a group of 5 sixth form students studying a BTEC Level 3 course, despite not having done music for GCSE/BTEC Level .
    I arranged for them to have singing lessons (except 1 who plays guitar) and after 4 lessons, some have had less for various reasons, they are already moaning about not picking their own songs straight away. I have tried to explain why building a solid technique etc is important but they just don't seem to 'get it', and with the next part of their course heavily based on performing, I am sick of wasting so much time with them whining about it.
    Does anyone have any good tips or comments to bash them down with? I know it's partly down to their lack of any music classroom lessons for years but it still drives me mad!

2. I have a group of 5 sixth form students studying a BTEC Level 3 course, despite not having done music for GCSE/BTEC Level .
    I arranged for them to have singing lessons (except 1 who plays guitar) and after 4 lessons, some have had less for various reasons, they are already moaning about not picking their own songs straight away. I have tried to explain why building a solid technique etc is important but they just don't seem to 'get it', and with the next part of their course heavily based on performing, I am sick of wasting so much time with them whining about it.
    Does anyone have any good tips or comments to bash them down with? I know it's partly down to their lack of any music classroom lessons for years but it still drives me mad!

3. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi Princess,
    I know exactly where you are coming from and you MUST tell them you are the expert and there is no debate. I had 2 (they were younger) who wanted to sing but flitted about wasting their time and mine so I said "Here are 2 xylophone pieces which you will learn for the exam in X months' time" and I went away on a course the next week leaving the instruments set up for them, with the music in their folders, and instructions for their supervision. Today I was back one pupil was present, the other was absent and the present girl performed to an acceptable standard! (thank goodness!!) I was taking a gamble here with lesser-able pupils, but I was pleasantly surprised (as was the pupil). I think so many of them are used to being spoon-fed and cannot organise themselves - don't give them too much choice - maybe it is beyond them, which perhaps they are too "macho" to admit to?
    That's not our fault.................
    [​IMG]

4. I have had similar issues with GCSE pupils. I usually explain to them the mark they would get if they do the piece they want and the mark they will get if they follow guidance - it usually works. I am increasingly coming across pupils who want to ignore the exam board instructions and think that they know better than I do. I had some singers who took quite a while to accept that it would be very unwise if they all sang the same melody for the whole of the song except the last line as their ensemble performance.