1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I want to leave my job at the end of the summer term and, not return at the end of the summer. What notice do I need to give?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Richlinny, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Richlinny

Richlinny New commenter

I have just been offered a job in America, I have only been at my school since September, so feel a bit guilty about it, but I need some advice on the notice I need to give to ensure that I can accept the job there.
    Thank you.

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

Deadline for resignation is ages away: 31st May, but you could tell your Head tomorrow (and it might be kind to give them planty of notice in order to secure a GOOD repolacement)

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

What's to feel guilty about, especially as you presumably applied for the job in America?

4. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Established commenter

Nobody needs to ever feel guilty about bettering themselves. Everyone in your present school who has been appointed to a position of responsibility there has 'jumped ship' and left previous employment. Your Head will have done that several times.
    Everyone has a duty to better oneself, not to stagnate. Many, many people have lived to regret the fact that loyalty to an institution in terms of years worked there is rarely appreciated, acknowledged or rewarded.

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Too right, and especially when they deserved better.