1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I want to learn to play the squeezebox

Discussion in 'Music' started by simon43, Dec 26, 2015.

1. simon43

simon43 New commenter

'Cos right now I can't :)

I very much enjoy teaching young students, but bemoan the fact that I cannot play a musical instrument, which I see as a very useful skill for encouraging the younger students to take an active role in 'play and learn' lessons.

As a child, I used to play the cello most evenings that my school lent to me. That all ended when I fell down the stairs of a double-decker bus and landed on that cello.....

I would love to play the guitar or piano, but don't have access to one, (I'm in backofbeyond-stan, Asia)

But I do own a squeezebox (or concertina by its correct name), purchased many years ago and never really used.

What are the benefits (as I see them)?

1 - I own one!
    2 - It is very portable, (unlike the cello)
    3 - I don't think it is that difficult to learn to play some simple tunes
    4 - It is perhaps an interesting instrument for young students to watch and to learn how it functions
    5 - I can sing/speak as I play
    6 - I can walk around the classroom as I play

I am not suggesting my students learn to play the squeezebox. Rather I suggest that it would be an ideal, musical accessory for song and dance lessons.

What do you think? Or should I stick to my broken cello?

2. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Well if you don't have access to a piano (not even a keyboard?) then this sounds like a great idea. :)