1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I want to know what is currently going on in education for interviews

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by EMMAMULCAHY, Jan 8, 2012.

1. I am currently in my third year of teaching. I am in the school I did my last two training posts. I feel that this school hasn't given me enough support over the time I have been at the school. We rarely have staff meetings, the head is unapproachable and we are pretty much left doing what ever we want.
    I want to know what is going on in education and any reading I can start so that I really know my stuff for interviews.
    I am someone that always wants to do well and I feel that the lack of enthusiasm around me is making me feel sometimes I have no idea what I am doing!!
    I would appreciate it if anyone is from a school with all the up to date knowledge that could point me in the right direction to interesting articles.
    Many Thanks

2. I am currently in my third year of teaching. I am in the school I did my last two training posts. I feel that this school hasn't given me enough support over the time I have been at the school. We rarely have staff meetings, the head is unapproachable and we are pretty much left doing what ever we want.
    I want to know what is going on in education and any reading I can start so that I really know my stuff for interviews.
    I am someone that always wants to do well and I feel that the lack of enthusiasm around me is making me feel sometimes I have no idea what I am doing!!
    I would appreciate it if anyone is from a school with all the up to date knowledge that could point me in the right direction to interesting articles.
    Many Thanks

3. hi Emma,
    At an PGCE interview this week the Head was asking questions about the Government making Key Stage 2 more seperate and dividing it into upper and lower with more assessments in order to raise levels for year 6 SATS. I hope that helps and as a primary school, overall we have a focus on boosting numeracy and a whole school initiative on writing.
    [​IMG]

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I really hope that Emma Mulcahy is not your real name, since you've not only made some dodgy comments about the head and the school, you've also told any heads to whom you might apply that you don't know what's going on in education or where to find out...

5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

OUCH!! A bad mistake, its good advice not to use you real name on public on-line forums which could influence your career or private life. Even if Emma Mulcahy is not your real name I urge you to change it since there could be some one else with that name now getting attributed with your comments.
    I have the same problem because apparently there is another Brad Pitt about.
    Again its good advice not to "put down "a previous employer, it does not make you look good and in many cases has opposite effect. Always concentrate on the postive aspects of a previous post, there will always be some.
    Not in entire agreement with this point, isn't it a strenght to recognise you have some weaknesses in your skillbase/knowledge and that you wish to address this? Also isn't the TES an authoritative source of information for developments in Education? It is one of the sources I would choose to use.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Absolutely not. You're saying 'I have no clue what's going on in my field and what's more, I have no idea how to use Google'.
    As a head, I wouldn't find that a strength.

7. Unfortunately the only thing you can't change on your profile for this network is your name. When I started my PGCE course, I innocently signed up with my real name. Recently I realised that in order to comment on anything remotely sensitive, a less obvious name would be useful. Couldn't change it on my profile. Tried setting up a new one -- it wouldn't accept it because my email address was already in use for the profile which used my name. Had to find a workaround of changing my email address to a false one, then registering as a new user.

8. I THINK if you email the TES forum people asking to change your username with a reason they will let you change it. TBH I've been considering changing mine so would be good if anyone could confirm how to go about this.

9. Just answered my own question: 'Yes, send an email request to help@tes.co.uk from the email address registered on our site. Note that symbols, dots, spaces and email addresses are not allowed for usernames. It is a good idea to do a username search to check if your preferred new username is available. Ignore the message 'No results found' then type the username you wish to check in the top right hand search box and press the return/enter key on your keyboard. When we change a username, this will update against all your previous posts and comments. '

10. In addition, even if you manage to change your name, lots of people have now mentioned it so it might be worth looking in to getting the post deleted :)