1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I want to give myself a pat on the back!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by BertieBassett2, Jul 3, 2019.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I have just completed 3 days of my first 4-day stint this week at my favourite school. In these 3 days, I have worked in Nursery, 2 Reception classes, Year 2, 3, 4 and 6. I have been covering PPA and NQT time - hence the diversity. I have taught Phonics, Maths, English, Geography, Science, PE and 2 separate Art lessons, together with the more supervisory role in Nursery. If I say so myself, that's an impressive few days' work, made easier because the school is well led and managed, with thorough planning and excellent TAs. Yesterday afternoon I was in the Nursery garden, which was followed by Year 6, where we were discussing why/how dinosaurs became extinct. My point is this: how many of our permanent colleagues would manage this pace of working, switching of Year groups and classrooms and a fresh set of children each time? I think they're pleased with me - I've got to do it all again next week! Let's hear it for we adaptable and highly skilled Supply teachers!

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

You're not going to get bored with that amount of variety in your working week!

Lara mfl 05 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  3. BertieBassett2

No indeed @bonxie! It's bl**dy knackering, though! I'm hoping I'll be stick thin after next week...

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

When I did supply I covered mostly science (and a fair bit of maths) which was my subject .

But on occasions I also covered: geography, technology, history, art and IT. As such I became aware of how much science was in other subjects, Geography and technology might be more obvious but in history I found out students are taught history of medicine, in art students learn about colours, in PE students are taught human biology. During my science lessons I was often able to make links across the curriculum and this was commented on a few times by other teachers.

A contracted teacher remaining solely in their faculty will not gain this insight and is one reason why supply teachers have high skills.

5. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

BertieB, I cannot believe you have actually accepted work, slow down, don't overdo it now :eek:

Lara mfl 05 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  6. BertieBassett2

Lol @pwtin, I don't do things by halves!

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Absolutely. Supply teachers are so much more adaptable.

Again a very good point.
    So for supply teachers. for all their hard work and deication
    [​IMG]

8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Well done. You sound as if you thoroughly enjoyed it. A well led school makes all the difference in my opinion.

BertieBassett2 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

10. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I was exhausted just reading what you did.:eek: I really hope you get rewarded with a permanent contract, if that is what your heart desires.:)

But as mentioned above, slow it down and don't overdo it next week, unless you normally wear your underpants over tights, like superwomano_O:D

BertieBassett2 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

Lespaul, I have always said that supply teachers have to have high skill levels to able to teach across the national curriculum, in different types of schools with students from varying social, economic and cultural backgrounds with success.

Bertiebassett, well done on the work you have done, when I do primary after 1 day I am usually knac*ered, and I would not even consider KS1, they scare me and I am over 6ft!

12. BertieBassett2

No, I don't want a permanent contract and I'm doing more days than I wanted, but it's such a great school that I couldn't turn it down! It's gratifying to know I can still do this job and would like to keep my hand in.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. BertieBassett2

The younger ones are a bit scary, but on Supply all you really do is supervise as there are so many TAs who take the heat off the job! (Well, for Nursery and Reception, that is - you are expected to teach yr 1 and 2 and my Year 2 work this week has been about the Titanic, which they are really enjoying!)

14. BertieBassett2

Thanks, Jezzer! You are so right about how schools are managed (you should know!) It makes all the difference when the Head greets you by name and takes the trouble to find out how your day is going.