1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I want to be made redundant

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by gonzo1970, Feb 23, 2011.

1. The school I work in is making people redundant and have asked for voluntary redundancies first of all, and will then possibly look in to compulsary redundancies.
    I have been offered a Job in the independent sector and my question is would it be possible to ask for voluntary redundancy and then take up my post in the independent school sector. I have not resigned from my current post yet but its widely known that I have been offered a new job.
    I am not sure but I think that if I meet the criteria for voluntary redundancy then its irrelevant that I already have a job lined up. Any ideas?

2. The school I work in is making people redundant and have asked for voluntary redundancies first of all, and will then possibly look in to compulsary redundancies.
    I have been offered a Job in the independent sector and my question is would it be possible to ask for voluntary redundancy and then take up my post in the independent school sector. I have not resigned from my current post yet but its widely known that I have been offered a new job.
    I am not sure but I think that if I meet the criteria for voluntary redundancy then its irrelevant that I already have a job lined up. Any ideas?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If there's no break in service, they won't pay you any redundancy - why should they? Redundancy money is to compensate those who lose earnings, not give a free bit of money to people who get other jobs.

4. I think there is a break in service as I will no longer be working for a local authority. If I am not replaced then the position no longer exists and so the job is redundant.
    Why should they - because I may meet the criteria for redundancy , if the position is redundant its possible ?

5. Middlemarch

I don't think so - you're effectively arguing to be given taxpayers' money for nothing, since you will not be made redudant - you'd simply be moving to another job.
    I really wouldn't try pretending you're not going to another post if I were you - it's fraud.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

If you volunteer for redundancy, it is up to your employer whether they actually select you. If it is known that you have received another job offer, then it would be unlikely that you would be selected since you would (presumably) be planning to take the other job. The school will understandably be reluctant to throw money at an employee who does not need to be made redundant as they will be leaving anyway.
    Of course you do not have to take the other job but I would guess that the offer from the independent sector will not be open for long. They will want the position to be filled. If you do accept that offer, then you are legally required to tell your current employer. If you have also been accepted for voluntary redundancy then at that point your school can withdraw your selection.
    Basically, what you are after is a free handout but the manner in which you are approaching this may well leave a nasty taste in some mouths, including your own.

7. As I said in the original post I have made it know to the senior management that I have been offered another job , so suggestions that information is being withheld are wrong.
    I agree it will leave a nasty taste in peoples mouths and agree if I decided to go down this route it would probably leave a nasty taste in my mouth too. No nastier than the taste left in all the employees mouths who are facing redundancy in an oversubscribed school where redundancies are required due to poor management of finances in the past.
    I understand that when deciding who is eligible for voluntary redundancy a strict set of criteria need to be applied. Some of the criteria being that the post is actually redundant ( if I am not replaced then the post is redundant ) a second criteria that I do not take up employment with a local authority ( which I am not .) What I am asking is does someone who has experience / knowledge in this field think I could meet the criteria for voluntary redundancy,

8. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

No.

9. What you seem to be saying is that you had already decided to leave, you have been offered a job, but somehow you want to take voluntary redundancy - presumably for the money as I can't think it would be for any other reason- so that you don't miss out on a payment that you would have got had you not got a job lined up. Is this right? Unfortunately, having another job lined up means you are NOT entitled to be made redundant, as you have already made it clear that you are going elsewhere. People who are made redundant have no other job at that time, and therefore need that money to help them stay afloat. To want to wrangle that out of a school which is making people redundant when you don't need it because you have a nice job already lined up is really not very nice. It takes money from people that really need it, whereas you will have back to back employment. Correct me if I have got any of that wrong, of course.

10. What you seem to be saying is that you had already decided to leave, you have been offered a job, but somehow you want to take voluntary redundancy - presumably for the money as I can't think it would be for any other reason- so that you don't miss out on a payment that you would have got had you not got a job lined up. Is this right? Unfortunately, having another job lined up means you are NOT entitled to be made redundant, as you have already made it clear that you are going elsewhere. People who are made redundant have no other job at that time, and therefore need that money to help them stay afloat. To want to wrangle that out of a school which is making people redundant when you don't need it because you have a nice job already lined up is really not very nice. It takes money from people that really need it, whereas you will have back to back employment. Correct me if I have got any of that wrong, of course.

11. PS no it is not irrelevent. You were offered the other job first BEFORE you thought of applying for voluntary redundancy. Therefore, if you accept it, you do not NEED to be made redundant as you have made a straightforward change of job. Why on earth are you trying to get a redundancy payput when you are changing jobs and had planned to all along? The more I re-read your post and see what you appear to be trying to do, the more awful I find it! You have another job lined up which you are happy to take, but still want a payoff for being made redundant - even though you haven't been?

12. Middlemarch

Yeah, but Peter, there's loads of taxpayers' money available in schools and local authorities!

13. It's a matter of conscience really, isn't it. If you have a job lined up which you genuinely want, especially when your colleagues are being made redundant all around you, you are thankful, you don't try to see if you can present your circumstances in a way which might get you similar redundancy money to those who genuinely will be made redundant. No sympathy for OP on here, it seems!

14. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I have a similar question to the OP.
    I am almost certainly going to ask for early retirement at the end of this academic year (notice in 31.5.- to leave in July, paid until August). However, there is a possibility that I may get redundancy with enhanced pension. The main problem being that 31.5 will probably be the cutoff date for that too. I haven't told anyone yet. Any thoughts?

15. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

In this instance I would hang fire to see if it's offered. It makes little difference to you if you go for early retirement at the end of this academic year or at Christmas. You haven't actually asked to go yet and could therefore easily change your mind.

16. I've decided to go in the summer, but numbers keep falling so may get redundance. If you are retiring, in the summer, do you realy have to give your notice on the 31/5? I thought you could just go in at any time and tell them you are leaving, am I mistaken?

17. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I'm not positive about 31/5. Just thought it was like giving in notice? Anyone out there know what the usual procedure is?