1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I want to be a Teaching Assistant.

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Jay1969, Jan 2, 2011.

1. I'm a 41 year old Male, who would like to train to be a Teaching Assistant. The only qualifications I have are a BTEC 1st Diploma in Performing Arts. I found a course on the Institute of Teaching Assistants website which offers a Level 3 TA Diploma which is acredited by the NCFE. Does anyone know if this course is any good as it costs around £500, it is home study and would fit in well with my current job which is factory based. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. F1sydney

F1sydney New commenter

Hi
    You could always volunteer for a bit before you quit your current job. You could probably get a job without doing a course yet and explain at interview that you are willing to train. Think about what type of school you want to work in. Primary is usually all female (this can be hard work for a fellow female let alone a male!) where as Secondary schools have a good mix. I was a TA last year and hoping to be one again soon (long story) but I have an education degree so I'm not sure on the courses for TAs, I'm guessing though it's best to have a job first. Good luck and keep us posted.

3. Although in my school we have two male TAs, one in Rec and the other in Yr 1 and they both thoroughly enjoy their work :)

4. I have worked with some brilliant male TA's - a rarity in primary. The best way to get a job is to get some school experience. I'm sure a course may help in the long run but experience counts for a lot. Maybe volunteering for a few hours per week to get your foot in the door should be your first step.

5. You don't want to be a teaching assistant - they're all being paid off!

6. Don't be frightened off by that remark. We have 4 male TAs in our school. They bring a completely different dimension to the support staff. None of the TAs in my school are being paid off. I would suggest that you work voluntarily first before you pay out for a course that might not be recognised. Some schools do not require formal qualifications.They give you training on the job. Good luck