1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I want to be a secondary school music teacher but I have concerns. Please help

Discussion in 'Music' started by superduperthatsnice, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Hi, I was talking to a teacher involved in SCITT and when he asked what grade I got for A Level music he seemed to wince at it. I got a C.
    I know why I got a C though, my essay/written work abilities at the time held me back (I never had trouble in the practical areas though; composition, listening tasks or performance). I wasn't the best at writing the essays but have since overcome that obstacle and am totally fine at writing them for my degree (and I thoroughly enjoy writing them too!).

I am concerned that, who I was back then is going to hinder my chances now. I may be thinking too far ahead or worrying over nothing, I don't know. I know I'm going to be up against people with A*'s and to any school that obviously looks far better than my C. But I am hoping that teachers on this forum could give me some advice on how/whether this will affect me or what I can do to make up for it :)
    Thank you in advance

2. nikkib_1986

nikkib_1986 New commenter

Hi!
    I got a grade D at A level for a variety of reasons (Grandad died just before written exam, teacher not handing in coursework for entire class etc.)
    I have never had any problem when applying for jobs or at interview. I have been asked about it at interview but after explaining the situation have found no problem.
    Don't let something like this hold you back. As you state yourself, you overcame the difficulties at University and this is usually so much more important to employers.
    Good luck for the future!!

3. I got a and C and do you know what? NO-ONE and I mean ABSOLUTELY NO-ONE, not even anyone at uni, any job ever ever has questioned me about it. This person who winced is an idiot. How dare he make you feel like you are not good enough. Good luck to him and his top grades. It means nothing. What matters is now. We change, grow and find motivation somewhere else. I too hated the essays and now that I am doing an MA in school leadership, I still hate writing the essays.
    Just teach, enjoy the job and that's it. Next time someone asks you what you got either tell them and walk away or or just laugh, as it has no reflection on what you can do now.

4. Thanks for the reply! I will do what you did in interviews and explain the best I can the situation. I think I can turn it round into a positive, I think because I used to struggle with writing essays it will help me to empathise with, and help, the children to also struggle.
    One other thing is, I never took music theory grades. Don't know why but I just didn't. I am going to take grade 5 soon and then after that get the others. Anyone know if it is acceptable to put on an application that I don't have theory grades but am planning to/awaiting results? I have the knowledge just not the piece of paper to 'prove' it.
    Thanks again :)

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The class of your music degree will be much more important than your A-level music grade.

6. I think the wince came more from the fact that the training course is oversubscribed and very competitive to get places (of course that's disconcerting for me!). I like your thinking and I agree that it shouldn't matter. Come to think of it, some of my best teachers at school weren't A* students either!
    Thanks for the reply

7. That is good to know as I think I will get a good mark

8. erp77

erp77 New commenter

I didn't even do A-level Music and it didn't stop me!

9. This is actually something that worries me because despite having grade 8 theory, piano diploma and a 2.1 music degree, I don't have any A levels at all. Something that was questioned at my PGCE interview. I hope it's not something that will hinder me when applying for jobs.

10. I got a third and I am the sole music teacher in a school within the top 20 of the national league table. Pretty much the same story, just focussed on all the other things University had to offer. I also have a C at A level but I do have G8's in piano, theory and gen musicianship and I also got a distinction for my PGCE (I actually worked for that one).
    I've been asked about my 3rd once and never asked about my A level grades.

11. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Well done - and you are a shining example of why Michael Gove's ambitions to restrict teaching to those with a 2:2 or higher is so appalling.
    However, for someone hoping to join the profession (such as, I think, the OP) it is as well to be aware that teacher-training funding has already been stopped for those with a 3rd class degree. I think it is a serious mistake.

12. I'd read about that. I'm confident of acheiving a 2:1 though. I think it's a serious mistake too though that funding has been stopped for those with a 3rd class degree.
    I'll see for sure when I do work experience at the guys school I guess