1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I want to apply for a Primary GTP but I have previously withdrawn from a Secondary PGCE

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SazzyG25, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Hi
    I was wondering if anybody could offer me any advice. Before studying for my degree I worked in a Nursery and did work experience in a Primary school and when I applied for University I originally applied for a BEd in Primary Education and swapped to English with Creative Writing in the first week as I was really concerned that if teaching wasn't right for me, I would have put all my eggs in one basket by doing the degree in education and not a generic degree where I could then do a postgrad teaching course afterwards. Therefore at the time, I thought I was taking a sensible precaution. During my studies I continued to volunteer and spend a lot of my spare time working in schools and then started to lean towards the option of specializing in my subject and teaching Secondary.
    I therefore applied for the Secondary PGCE and managed to secure a place. Once on placement I realized that I had chosen the wrong age group and I definitely didn't feel confident enough to teach English up to A Level standard (it was an 11-18 English with Drama course). I was never told by any of my mentors that I didn't have the ability or that I was failing any aspect of the course and in actual fact they seemed very confused as to why I was withdrawing as I was excelling on placement, but I just felt that I wasn't capable of teaching up to that level even though I absolutely loved being around the kids and got such a buzz out of being in school and being a 'teacher'. Therefore after withdrawing from the course I became very down and had two very 'lost' and confused years not knowing what my vocation really was. I have now started to realize why I have felt so lost and what exactly was missing and after two years of working pointless office jobs and aimlessly bumbling around and I have decided that I need to get back in there and fulfill my passion.
    I am now in a situation where I am living away from home, paying bills and trying to save for a wedding and unfortunately cannot afford to go down any other route for ITT other than the GTP due to all the Government cuts to bursary funding etc for the PGCE etc. Unfortunately they state very clearly on the details for the GTP that if you have previously withdrawn from an ITT course then you will not be considered for the GTP. I therefore have no idea what I am supposed to do? I don't see what other options I have for training due to my financial situation? Can anybody suggest what I should do? I've started doing my application for the GTP anyway and I'm going to go to my old provider for the PGCE and try and get a reference from them.
    Any advice is very much appreciated.

Sarah.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Then the GTP is not open to you and you are wasting your time applying.
    You will either have to put teaching on hold for a while and do an PGCE later when you are more financially secure, or put the wedding on hold for a while and do a PGCE sooner.

A shame that no-one told you while doing your original PGCE that you could have continued and qualified in 11-18, but still then applied for posts in primary schools and been a primary teacher. Or you could have got a job in one of the many 11-16 schools. Or a post in an 11-18 school, but not taught A-Level. You had so many options at the time, it is a real failure on the part of your placement schools and ITT provider that they didn't go over them with you.

Good Luck.

3. Thanks for your comments minnieminx. I have to say I have been stewing over what you wrote for the last couple of days, as I don't feel that I should completely lay down and except what is written down by the 'powers that be'. I'm going to just get in there and apply anyway as the way I see it , is they can only say no and if they do that I'm going to apply again next year and the year after that and so on until they give in.
    I have already been emailing my old provider (who is also the provider I'm going to attempt to get on with this time as well) and have asked them if there is any way they would make an exception. I have been told that I would need to get academic references from the Secondary PGCE staff I dealt with when I left the course and if they wanted to support me, they could write me a reference that would be submitted with my application and they would need to ask permission from the TDA, but there is a slim possibility that they might consider me for interview.

I was wondering if anybody could help me with what I can do in the mean time before applying and also what I can actually put in the wording of my personal statement. I am already working as a Volunteer in a local Primary school and the head told me at the end of term that they would support me as much as possible by letting me volunteer in every year groups classroom, for as long as I want. I also have an interview on Thursday for some relief work in local Nursery.

Any advice with this would be great!

4. MayKasahara

MayKasahara New commenter

I would look for paid work in schools as a TA etc. once you have some voluntary experience. I would also find out all about the recruitment procedures for the provider: Do you have to find a school yourself to do the GTP at before you apply (if your current volunteer school are supportive they might be willing to do this)? Do your provider have schools they normally work with every year where you can volunteer/ observe? Do they prioritise any kind of experience (i.e. paid work over voluntary work) when it comes to shortlisting? I would think the provider will have very specific guidelines to follow when it comes to writing your personal statement. Also consider applying to the neighbouring providers as well to give yourself the best possible chance. Good luck!

5. MayKasahara

I missed the edit! If you're looking at working in a nursery then maybe you could consider other (non-QTS) routes such as EYPS and then do a PGCE/ GTP at a later date if you still want to.

6. Hi MayKasahara (really sorry if this message is a bit jumbled; I'm writing this at 5.45am on a night shift at work)

Thank you for your comments. I believe getting a paid role is definitely the way forward in terms of valuable experience that they will sit up and take notice of; even if I have to work in loads of different settings for a couple of years before I get onto the GTP, I'm just going to be really determined and go in to the University and sit down with the right people and like you suggested, squeeze out of them exactly what they require from me, to allow me onto this course. I may also apply to a few neighboring providers as well and see what kind of response I get (the only trouble with this is that me and my boyfriend can't really move as he has a business here and would lose his income if we had to go elsewhere and with a low training wage, I also don't know if I could afford the petrol for the likely commute?)
    I also like your suggestion about perhaps doing EYPS in the mean time and will look into this, if I can source out somewhere to do it and I don't make it on to the GTP before hand! My interview at the pre-school went really well today, so fingers crossed for getting some paid work & vital experience through them.
    I think staying positive and determined is the key with teaching, in every respect from applying to doing the job!
    Thanks again for your input; I'm really looking forward to getting back into school next week now!
    :) Sarah :)

7. MayKasahara

People on the GTP are *usually* paid at U1 which I think is now almost £16,000 (paid in twelve equal installments from September to August). I managed very well on my GTP wages a couple of years ago, but petrol was cheaper then! Obviously things might change with respect to teacher training and funding depending on what the government decides to do in the future anyway.

Good for you, best of luck!