1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"I want free schools to help other schools"

Discussion in 'Education news' started by phlogiston, Sep 27, 2019.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Says Unity Howard, the new director of free school charity New Schools Network.

She also said
    Full article https://www.tes.com/news/i-want-free-schools-help-other-schools

There's a bit of me that's pleased that she wants to be constructive. More of me is a bit cross that she thinks that she has all the answers, when she doesn't seem to have had much experience of either teaching or leading in a school. She doesn't seem much interested in the question "what can I learn from the experienced folk who have years of experience working with a wide range of children and finding solutions to the challenges that face all educators?"

bonxie likes this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

Mmm.. she is quick mention politics. And very proud not to be part of the Conservative Party?

3. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

Surely the best way for schools to respond to the needs in a local area is for all schools in an area to work together with some overall strategic direction (eg number of places planning) from a central body, perhaps we could call it a Local Education Authority?

Oscillatingass, Jamvic, bajan and 4 others like this.
  4. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

From her CV she doesn't have any relevant experience at all apart from having been to school as a child. I wonder how she got the job.

install likes this.
  5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Free schools are a disaster. A huge amount of money has been wasted on them. Many have closed, many others didn't even open yet took large sums of money.

Absolute farce.

Oscillatingass, ajrowing and install like this.