1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I want children to work harder than me!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by LDennes, Apr 20, 2012.

1. I'm sure we have all discussed with teaching and learning management about pupils working harder than us. I still find I am teaching from the front of the class and the pupils are not working to learn. I have a lovely class and we make it interactive but they can be bored. However in my subject there is no text books to work from. I have tried learning tables, information around the room to seek, where they collect information and record themselves but lets be honest 1) this takes up my whole weekend and more to prepare and 2) with a class of 33 this can be organised chaos (i have control).

Any ideas on more task based ideas, access to IT suit is very minimal.

Any great tricks out there to get them creating their own learning environment that I have missed would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Get yourself a copy of 'The Lazy Teacher's Handbook' or whatever it's called: it is written specifically to help teachers do just this. Tons of ideas in it.

3. Don't know what age your pupils are, or what your subject is, but you could give them a mini syllabus (5 points to 'learn about' for example) and access to structured resources for a specified amount of time.
    They work in groups of 2 or 3 and have to provide you with notes / leaflet / experimental results & conclusions at the end of the specified time. This is quite a lot of effort from them, particulalry at the start since they will not be used to the sysytem, they may keep coming back to you for spoonfeeding! At the end - you have a fair amount of work, marking the deliverables - but you get to see how they learn & what they have discovered.
    I did this recently with two Y8 classes and followed it up by an 'open book' test on the topic. It worked reasonably well for most of them and they got quite enthusiastic about setting themselves homework! If I do it again, I will be more prescriptive in the mini syllabus I give them - including new words that they have to discover the meaning of, use in their notes & be able to define.

4. Apologies for the over sight, year 7-11 is the age of the pupils i teach and in a range of subjects, citizenship, PE Theory GCSE, BTEC PE theory and sports leadership, geography. Definitely reading about the lazy teacher over the summer have heard about this.

I quite like teaching from the front, and i'm very energetic, just don't want them to switch off.

Many Thanks for all you comments so far.

5. This really has revolutionised our lessons:

http://www.lazyteacher.co.uk/about_book.html