1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I want an iPad. Discuss!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tassiegirl, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Please help me justify it. Don't need one. Want one.
    Have been using one all day today and I've fallen in love with it. Again.

2. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

We all need one sweetie, I have had mine since the launch. It is my constant companion at home work or travelling. More so than any other gadget before, Buy one now ! Xxx

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We are going to get one next week. Not sure we've come up with enough justification beyond wanting one but if we wait after next week the VAT will have gone up.

4. Yea, you do need one and should get one, and it is more than a toy!

5. Wait. There will be a cheaper, lighter one along soon....

6. Airy, I know you are taking the pee. However, you are right to an extent - the new one that has an inbuilt camera will be along shortly, and that will make skypeing so much easier!
    oooooooo, this is really hard to resist! Going in to the mad pit of sales tomorrow to see what other stuff I don't need that I can find as a 'bargain'!
    [​IMG]

7. TG, do you need a washing machine? Answer: No, you could do it by hand but a washing machine makes life easier. Same can be said for any of the white goods. Now, iPad: do you need one? No BUT it does make life easier and nicer. I've had mine since October. I download work stuff to it (I use a Mac anyway, so it's easier), I use iBooks and the Kindle App (free download) for reading novels and the kind of books I don't need littering my small flat. I do 90% of my web surfing stuff from the comfort of my armchair with the iPad. I only surf the net sat at a computer if it can't be played on the iPad or I'm sat at my computer at the time I need to look something up. I organise my Twitter lists through the Twitter App (free) so that I can keep up to speed with news and friends.I also subscribe to a couple of magazines which I now read in eform - fewer piles of mags littering the floor at home. You don't need persuading about any of the interface as you have already fallen in love with it and you now that the onscreen keyboard is very usable and gets easier with use - I can touch type on the iPad with as much accuracy as I can on a conventional keyboard. You probably already know that Angry Birds HD is fabulous!

8. Nope. Totally serious. My dad's an early adopter and I've seen him buy the first, most expensive model of everything over the years and learned that #2 is usually better!

9. So, apparently the 2nd generation one will be released around May.
    Do I wait?
    Why am I p*ssing about so much with this decision?

10. Complete extravagance ... Would not be without mine

11. Ok. So if I do buy one tomorrow, do I get a 32gb with just wifi or is a 3G worth the extra expense?

12. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

depends where you're going to use it. i got 3G because i'm likely to use it in the car or on train, and you can't guarantee that anywhere's going to have wifi. or working wifi. I have PAYG 3G though, and it came with £10 worth.

13. I wanted more gb rather than 3G I could not see what I would need it or given that I ave my iPhone ... I could see the plus But felt it was not worth the extra cost

14. I went for 32GB wifi only. Reason? If I need internet urgently, I have an iPhone. And most of the time, if I'm making notes, or doing stuff during the day, it doesn't need to sync until I'm back at home as it's the only device I have with me where I am making notes, writing things, reading what's already downloaded etc.. Besides, where I am, I frequently have wifi or GPRS signal. Strangely, I don't ever seem to get a 3G signal on my phone, so 3G in iPad seems an extravagance to me. Yeah, you could wait for v2 come out. But then v3 will be better. Looked at logically, what is v2 going to have the v1 doesn't have? About the only thing mentioned is a front facing camera for FaceTime or similar video calls. If I want to do that, I'll move to my desktop computer or laptop. If they upgrade the operating system, most of any upgrade will work on v1 of the iPad (the only bits not working relate to the new device only). Conclusion: You could wait forever before buying or just buy one knowing that you have made the right decision.

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

..and cheaper. Any Business Studies teacher will point out that cutting edge technology producers prey on early adopters by artificially inflating the price of new gadgets via a deliberate pricing policy known as 'skimming'. I reckon it's best to wait at least a year after the launch before adopting new hi-tech gizmos, not least because it leaves time for any faults to be ironed out.

16. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

I was talked out of the 3G by an Apple chap in store. He said the only time he needed 3G would be on the train or in the car. That there was enough WiFi about to manage. For the sake of £100 I didn't get it. OH already had a WiFi dongle and that works perfectly well. I bought it because wanted it and am glad I did, OH is going to wait and get the next one.....

17. What can it do better than a small computer? Possibly, nothing but at much greater cost?

18. MAJoe, have you ever used one?
    In theory, nothing. However, they are magic and brilliant nad the ads and marketing don't lie when they say it is intuiative and you just know how to use it.

19. An iPad, the whole point of thread! It's lovely

20. I dont understand the point in paying over £500 for an ipad when you can get a very good laptop for that price, or if you want something more portable - a netbook.