1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I walked out of interview when they gave me this task...

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by j_pink, Jan 29, 2016.

1. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

How can you ensure your area of responsibility is Outstanding within the Outstanding category?

I said that was far too many outstandings for my liking and not why I joined the profession. Where is the word 'child'?
    The Head was about 25. Okay, I exaggerate. Maybe 31. I got in my car and drove straight to an RI school for a meeting with the Head. On entering the school, a young girl nearly booted a door down in front of me. Ah, that's more like it!
    It took me seeing that Outstanding school to realise why I don't want to work in one.

2. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Completely get it - at least it was not ' beyond outstanding - ha !

Anonymouse4 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

*sigh*

Are they mad?

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 and dljames2013 like this.
  4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter Forum guide

5. ld7675

ld7675 New commenter

My school is determined to get the big O at all costs, I feel that the needs of the children are overlooked at the expense of progress. Looking elsewhere.

sparkleghirl and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. casperyc

casperyc New commenter

I am more interested in after you walked out, did you get the job?

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yeah...course you are.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. thekizzaa

thekizzaa New commenter

Can we make this guy an admin, please?

9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Doubtless!

It is a good tactic that English school managers like. It shows decisiveness. Second only to spitting on your palm before shaking their hands

Be sure to employ both techniques to increase your chances in any interview

CWadd, DYNAMO67 and Middlemarch like this.
  10. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i have worked in three (or if i include my present school four) schools where the head while approaching retirement, was desperately seeking outstanding. In every case, they focused so hard on Ofsted ticks that they forgot the basics of good education. As a result all three of the previous schools got RI following a previous Good+ grading. In the first, I missed the inspection as I was part time, in the second the inspection happened a term or two after they shifted out all us "awkward" experienced teacher and they failed mainly for "weak behaviour management due to having too few experienced teachers". In the third, I was on supply and was able to observe the inspection as almost a neutral observer.

Lara mfl 05 and hhhh like this.
  11. poltergeist

poltergeist New commenter

My favourite is 'our journey to outstanding'. Makes me want to stab myself in the eye with a whiteboard marker.

12. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

It's when schools also say they want 75%/80% etc of teaching to be outstanding. If 75% is outstanding then that becomes the normal which means it is no longer outstanding as the word outstanding means better than normal. If everyone is outstanding then none of them stand out from each other.

576 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. thekizzaa

thekizzaa New commenter

They're clearly Goveists, and want every school to be "better than average"

simonbfc likes this.
  14. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

I think I prefer schools that develop a USP (Unique Selling Point ) such as having the only Magic and Origami lessons in England. Ofsted are on the look out for innovation as well as outstanding teaching etc.

Kermie42 likes this.
  15. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Love it OP!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Or you could have said that, as a literate person, you could not.

17. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Maybe she was trying to be outstanding, and thought that is what standing out (side) meant. That's why her school requires improvement.

18. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

There's an Oustanding school recruiting if you're both interested. You're perfect for the job, what with that tone...