1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I visited an academy yesterday...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Oldfashioned, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

'tends to smile rather than action her targets'. 'Despite her cheerful demeanour, she dresses too casually..' ' one kid got s C so she deserves capability'. Oh yes, they can always snout about and find some evidence for their piggy trials...

agathamorse likes this.
  2. Mrsmumbles

Teachers really need to set up more smal, schools and undercut these ********. I've had enough. Half the academy kids I tutor cannot punctuate. They are 15. This is a national disgrace. Nobody objects in parliament. The public feel utterly disenfranchised.

3. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

The public is utterly disenfranchised.

4. Mrsmumbles

Yes. I bow to your superior auxiliary verb, Delnon!
    I shall vote 'Green' at the next election!

5. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Slight misunderstanding there. Other languages have a grammar, but English has exceptions. Collective nouns such as "public", "government" and "team", although grammatically singular, may also be used in the plural. We do it to confuse Johnny Foreigner, don't you know.

I was merely emphasising that the public's feeling of disenfranchisement is absolutely correct.

Vote any way you like at the next General Shamection: the chances of your vote counting are between 3:1 and 4:1 against.

peggylu and Mrsmumbles like this.
  6. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Gosh, I feel so dumb!

install likes this.
  7. Mrsmumbles

Oh yes,agreed. Just pondering the grammaticals.
    Ur...still a bit early for me but...'is' is a primary auxiliary verb, innit? The public, as in all of us lot...can't it be 'is hacked off' OR 'are hacked off'? I've never thought about this before. Does it need the definite article at the front to make it 'are'? As in...the government is ****....the government are ****....?

8. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

I was shocked* that the OED says that you can now use dice for the singular - after years of telling children that one such object was a die!

*Take this with a pinch of salt...deary me...I think I need to get out more!

agathamorse, drek, catbanj and 7 others like this.
  9. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

So true. I worked on supply for one autumn term and served days in local academies.

One very large, very 'flash' academy stands out as a nightmare. All chrome, shiny steel and glass. Beautiful landscaped gardens. iPADS issued to each pupil and each teacher. Each classroom hi-tech. Impressive

SMT members patrolling the corridors with walkie-talkies, ready to remove any "troublesome" pupil. Crying in the staffroom.

After the 28 year old DH "popped in" to one of my Year 11 lessons, I was called to his office at lunchtime. I was, apparently, "doing too much teacher-talk". This was a Year 11 GCSE History class which had not had a regular teacher for 14 months. I have taught GCSE History very successfully previously, so I thought that I was doing the right thing by the pupils: lively, animated lessons, lesson material and revision booklets, created by me (which had helped to result in grades A*-B year on year). I answered pupils' questions, taught them how to structure History essays, got them to copy notes from the board :)eek: gasp!) No behavioural problems whatsoever in these lessons.

But I was advised that, if I wanted to secure more days on supply there, I would have to adopt "independent learning" and allow pupils to "own their classroom". I left after lunch and asked the agency not to send me there again.

10. Mrsmumbles

Their loss! What idiots. I pity those kids who, for once, tasted a real lesson.

11. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

And that encapsulates one day of the major problems with our current education system.

12. Mrsmumbles

Being that good staff and being patronised by clueless pillocks.

13. Mrsmumbles

Are being!

14. inceywincey

inceywincey Occasional commenter

I work for an academy chain - I do not like it. But I have just read a job ad that has almost put me off ever trying to move.
    It was long but main points - required unqualified teacher. Must be an outstanding classroom practitioner with experience of teaching students with complex needs. Then a long list of personal attributes the strangest of which was 'positivity'. Apparently staff have a responsibility to be positive as negativity leads to low expectations and excuses.

15. Mrsmumbles

That's because Disney are sponsoring that 'Smile as you walk thu our gates guys!' perimeter fence they put up last week...

16. RedBedHead94

RedBedHead94 Established commenter

YES! An anonymised TripAdvisor for schools. I think you can review some employers on Indeed - if only schools came under it...

17. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

https://teachersrateschools.com/schools

Not really taken off though.

RedBedHead94 likes this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Neither has ratemyteacher - an appalling site which should be taken down

There is some really unpleasant stuff on there.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You need to register as your school's moderator then post great stuff about your colleagues;)

20. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

The new build academies I have visited do not have staff rooms.

Divide and conquer?