1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I visited an academy yesterday...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Oldfashioned, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Brilliant."Heh Heh Heh Huya kids! It's Krusty the Head here!"

stonerose likes this.
  2. Mrsmumbles

Damned, smiling villain! That one may smile, and STILL be called a villain!

3. Mrsmumbles

Too many fat cooks spoil the educational broth...

stonerose likes this.
  4. Mrsmumbles

Ooh yes I like that. They have the tech, as you can use map software for house or job hunting. We could have a little bell icon pop up in startle-alert red. London would look rather angry....

stonerose and install like this.
  5. Mrsmumbles

We could have:
    Heads up on Heads.com
    Findmeatoad.com
    Ferretoutaweasel.com
    Thebellringer.co.uk
    BeefUpOnBullies.com

OFFHEAD: the bespoke head rating software which ensures that teachers don't go off theirs.
    Oh, the slogans and websites we could have!

6. install

install Star commenter

A genuine smile is a lovely smile but to force anyone to smile is difficult...

agathamorse, stonerose and peggylu like this.
  7. Mrsmumbles

Yup. Rictus grimaces look bad on the shiny new website. Next stop, cattle *****? Job offers for Master In Charge of Positive Imaging?

It's bad, it really is.

stonerose and peggylu like this.
  8. Mrsmumbles

What is rude about the word 'prod', TES?!!!

9. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

When I first started teaching, one NEVER witnessed such behaviour: teachers had dignity and respected each other by and large. But over the last maybe 7-8 years, I have seen such behaviour frequently. I don't think I would have believed that there could be an environment created that fostered this sycophantic behaviour - not only fostered it but rewarded it. In my personal experience, it is not the most gifted teachers who now get promoted, it is those who toe the line and suck up to management.
    Abhorrent. Unprofessional. It stinks.

10. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

The Stepford Teachers strike again!
    Unfortunately, I've seen this at local LEA schools as well as at an academy. Once I was out of the situation, I actually felt sorry for them. What kind of life can it be? Imagine how crushing it would be for one of them to be told they require improvement. And yet that day will definitely come, as sure as night follows day, because what they've been taught to think of as the Holy Grail of teaching will one day go out of fashion.

11. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

If you want to know what a school is really like, ignore all the glossy brochures they hand out and ask a supply teacher. Even if that supply hasn't worked there they will know of others who have. Regular supply teachers will always discuss amongst themselves what schools they have worked in and will quickly build a list of "the good, the bad and the ugly".

A decent school to work in will be quickly acknowledged, but the words "challenging or lively" really mean "avoid or run away"

12. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Then as I said, please excuse me while I throw up :eek:

So we are now getting to a point where as a profession any employer contractural obligations for teacher pay progression, working hours, physical/mental working conditions and fair references can all be covertly ignored But some are being forced to abide, contracturally, to don fake 'Mc-smiles'throughout their working day....!

This is dangerous stuff. It's 1984; through the looking glass; in Kansas no more; Pret A Manger 'emotional labour' cr ap that as professionals we should refuse to countenance. Surely a line has to be drawn somewhere or is this a glimpse of the future ethos for UK McSchools?

...Some have found Pret’s cheery exterior troubling. They ascribe it to a particularly twenty-first century form of emotional moulding – forcing staff members to act in a particular way...

bevdex and stonerose like this.
  13. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

The original Poppins character in the wonderful P L Travers books wouldn't have stood for any of this rubbish for a 'spit spot' second.

14. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

A metaphorical one before anyone mentions it. lol...

15. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

And yet it could all have been avoided if people had bothered to look at the evidence - the most misused word in teaching these days, it seems

16. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

@Scintillant

Thanks for posting the RSA youtube link.

I found working in the Academy very odd- my "purpose" didn't match their "profit" motive.. amongst other things..

agathamorse and stonerose like this.
  17. stevejp65

stevejp65 New commenter

Not sure what the problem is in TES land, but I believe it was originally a term of abuse used by Irish Catholics against their protestant neighbours...?

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  18. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

When the purpose is to increase the life chances of young people but the profits are increased numerical indicators in a table and they are not aligned together then you can see why people are leaving.

Here is a question: of those who are leaving the profession, what proportion are from LA schools and what proportion are from each of the school types; Free Schools, Converter Academies, Sponsored Academies, Academies in a MAT, etc.

As a provider who has responsibility for tracking what happens to our graduates, surely I could have the same expectations of the data tracking of the DofE?

19. Mrsmumbles

You're so right. Schools are so used to spouting the bllollocks about 'making our students reflective and resilient independent learners' that they don't seem to have grasped the irony that they are ores ganging their own teaching staff into becoming neurotic, dictat-dependent mindless drones. This is why it is so important for teachers to be trained by independent university providers, and why it is so important for trachers to be able to teach unhampered by repressive pointless admin. It's that free thinking that engenders innovative thought in students themselves. We murder to dissect. And all that.

20. Mrsmumbles

Now THAT we could set up as an anonymous database. 'What school did you quit .com'?

agathamorse and NotAPowerRanger like this.