1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I visited an academy yesterday...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Oldfashioned, Oct 13, 2016.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

What if they weren't on a diet???

stonerose likes this.
  2. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Oh, I see, they enjoy reflecting each other's greatness!

Birds of a feather, flock together?

If you want to flatter someone imitate them?

Of course...

3. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

I'm presuming this means a physical boundary point beyond which you are contractually obliged to don the required corporate attitude...in this case 'a smile'.

Please tell me I've misunderstood or alternatively excuse me while I throw up. :confused:

4. install

install Star commenter

Academies - make me think of...

Security guards
    Fish bowl classrooms
    No staffroom
    Awful behaviour
    Staff doing 11 hour days
    No Union recognition

and....

In some, Heads too frightened to teach...

5. WJClarkson

WJClarkson Occasional commenter

In my academy:
    There are no security guards.
    No fishbowl classrooms (even in the new block we've just built).
    Behaviour is good - better than some other places I've been.
    Unions are recognised.

The HT also has a teaching commitment, even in a fairly large secondary with over 1100 pupils.

However... There are days where I work 15 hours...

6. Brunel

Brunel Established commenter

Me neither. And staff accepted it! A class action for compensation for RSIs would have sorted this nonsense.

7. install

install Star commenter

[QUOTE="WJClarkson, post: 11855558, member: 6611294
    However... There are days where I work 15 hours...[/QUOTE]

With no extra pay...same as schools there....

stonerose and WJClarkson like this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

Very impressed with your Headteacher actually teaching.

9. WJClarkson

WJClarkson Occasional commenter

With no extra pay...same as schools there....[/QUOTE]
    Just think - schools are like big supermarket chains these days. If you were contracted 37 hours a week in Asda but you're asked to do 25 hours overtime UNPAID, would you do it? No. Then why do schools expect teachers to do it?

10. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Just think - schools are like big supermarket chains these days. If you were contracted 37 hours a week in Asda but you're asked to do 25 hours overtime UNPAID, would you do it? No. Then why do schools expect teachers to do it?[/QUOTE]

I'm in my fourth year now and I have thought a lot about it. I'm currently letting my broken collar bone heal so have see the real world for a week.

Reasons why we work more than we are contracted.
    1. Its for the kids - The extra time spent planning, marking, running intervention and after school clubs benefits the kids and enriches our lives.
    2. Because we as a profession are afraid to say no. I have seen many who moan about workload and then when asked to do some insane task go yes of course and burn themselves out walking until 2,3,4 am to get it done.
    3. In some schools those asking for the work to be done, use their workload as a yardstick. SLT have a lot more work i.e. data entry, line managers meeting and PM but also have a lot more fluid time in which to do it. At my place SLT work quite hard many with a 50%+ time table and they are also Heads of Department and line managing other departments where required but in others ive seen in the past non teaching SLT tended to forget that many are doing 23 out of 25 lessons per week with break and lunch duties and before/after school duties so anything additional can only be done at home.
    4. To look good - Some people love doing all the brilliant marking, staying awake until late being first in, saying how tired they are and having brilliant books (live to work). The rest of us are then held to this measure because we don't want to admit that its unworkable. I remember a training session years ago a colleagues books got held up as an example of excellence and I asked how long does it take per class (6 hours I was told). When I asked if that was a reasonable expectation I got a stunned silence as I answered back (this was a long time ago before I got quiet).
    5. Because what once we offered to the school then became requested by the school and now it is expected by the school.
    6. Technology with greater technology the expectation that more tasks can be done is present.

I am lucky I work at a really quite nice place, yes there are a lot of expectations but usually I can see the point in them. I looked at my pension once a long time ago, It said my minimum retirement age was 67. I'm now 30 I do wonder if many of us will ever make the full time. I have only ever seen one teacher make it the full length and not take early retirement. That was as a PGCE student in 2009.

I apologise for bad spelling I'm mainly left handed typing and have massive pins and needles down my right arm.

11. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Peggylu you are quite correct. Disney theme parks have a "smile line" across every doorway that connects public areas of the park to employee rest areas. Once you step over the line in to the public areas, you are contractually obliged to smile.

12. install

install Star commenter

...At my place SLT work quite hard many with a 50%+ time table and they are also Heads of Department[/QUOTE]

It is the FED UP theory that I see teachers fall for everytime...

They do something as a FAVOUR ie a club for free. It is then EXPECTED ie you did it last term without any bonus or support.It then becomes DEMAND - it works with no pay and it is now an SLT Idea.

Teachers become FEDUP....

Teachers need to be more assertive - they need to say NO I HAVE A LIFE..

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    agathamorse, delnon, peggylu and 4 others like this.
  13. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Where's my head at .com?!

stonerose and install like this.
  14. install

install Star commenter

I would like an app to track where some Heads go...

15. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

If people were happy at work, there would be no need for this.
    That is what OFSTED would say if schools imposed such a rule on the children...

agathamorse, delnon, peggylu and 4 others like this.
  16. install

install Star commenter

If people are so easily fooled by a smile - we could also be forced to change our names to Donald Trump...

All sounds very USA to me.

17. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

As I am reading the posts on this topic I am realizing that the expectations of 'whoever' about teachers is not only at variance with real life - a minor detail I know- but is also the polar opposite of what is expected of the pupils that they teach.

Teachers are expected to be all of an identical standard i.e. blooming marvellous every second of the day; every day of the week etc. (All the better to fill in my tick sheet dear, and assess you.) Their lessons have to be of the highest possible standard every time they enter the classroom; from to banging in every conceivable target required not only for the particular subject matter of the lesson such as studying purpose audience of text in English...... pause for breath...... but a whole lot more of some cross-curricular twaddle like Citizenship (Tony Blair's gift to education, education, education ) or how to weed out any jihadis your midst while noticing all possible aspects of 'elf and safety' at the same time. And it is still never enough to 'drive up standards' the phrase that continues to make me clench my fists.

God what a surprise!!!!

Pupils though do not have to present anything when they walk through the doors (or even kick their way in and/or out), and certainly not have to display any willingness to engage in any of a teachers carefully planned activities for learning. The smiling, all-singing and all-dancing teacher, with the patience of a saint; coupled with the Mary Poppins-like reserves of inexhaustible energy, of optimism and tricks up their sleeves is going to do all that for them! * Good grief even the BBC has been allowed to inform, educate and entertain, but not all at once and their presenters get clothing allowances!!!!

With academies have come a privatized model of what used to be a national service. Big business is using the worst aspects of its corporate practices and plonking them, undiluted it seems from this topic into places that are still staffed by people who are in the job of teaching for other than financial reasons. I'm waiting to see which academy chain is going to enter the FTSE first.

*(In deference to the Disney theme I am talking about Julie Andrews portrait, not the original book Poppins who seemed more caustic!)

18. Mrsmumbles

Can I use this please?!! :0)

stonerose, bevdex and palmtree100 like this.
  19. Mrsmumbles

Is the poster not maybe getting it muddled up with their front room?!! :0)

slingshotsally and stonerose like this.
  20. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

The sad thing about the increased accountability, performance-related pay etc. is that it sets staff against one another, rather than encouraging collaboration. People are desperate to claim the credit for anything good that is happening, at the expense of others if necessary. Particularly true of those higher up the chain, who seem to be constantly expected to prove they are worth their large salaries, by providing evidence for what impact they have had. This provision of evidence, in itself, takes up valuable time that could be spent collaborating and making an actual difference. It also creates divisions and bad feeling among staff, when people try to claim credit for things that others have worked hard on.