1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I used the word "Idiot"

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Cosmic_Rainbow, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

So today during an assessment test the behaviour of some students was absolutely appalling. Talking, Turning around, getting out of their seats, throwing things, laughing, making silly noises etc.

I had told them several times that their behaviour was completely inappropriate and unacceptable. I moved students to different tables, I rearranged the tables so that they were sitting one per desk and i had already sent 3 students to another room for their behaviour.

Despite all this their behaviour still continued to be unacceptable, now i cant remember the exact words, if i told them that they were acting "like" idiots or if i said they were being idiots but fast forward to the end of the day and two students have complained to the head about me calling them all idiots.

OK so I admit maybe idiot isnt the most pleasant word but honestly??? Its frustrates me incredibly that instead of these children taking responsibility for their behaviour and apologize to me for incredibly disrespectful behaviour and repeatedly ignoring my instructions that they have the audacity to then complain about me?????? And now I have to apologise to them?

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Said who?

If it is your HT I suggest contacting your Union ASAP.

Personally I wouldn't apologise unless the whole class (or all those whose behaviour ruined the lesson) write apologies to you first...

3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

[​IMG]

I have often told students to stop behaving like idiots.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Blimey, they're such sensitive little souls these days, aren't they?

I know the accepted wisdom for a long time has been that teachers should criticise the behaviour, not the person - but honestly, any head doing anything other than telling these kids to behave themselves in future is a numpty.

5. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

Yes HT is one asking me to appologsise

6. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

Honestly - can he/she not see how undermining that is? Has any sanction been applied to the students for their appalling behaviour?

7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I agree with all the posts so far and the head should go in and TELL the class to behave and insist that the class apologise to YOU.

It is time to say NO to bad behaviour like you describe and to stop letting the students run the schools.

If the class hadn't been behaving so badly, you wouldn't have been put in the position you are now in. Yes, we have to have high levels of tolerance while teaching, but there is a limit to what any one human being can tolerate.

You should only have to remind students to behave - not nag them. They should follow your reasonable instructions first time every time.

Don't worry as you have done nothing wrong and you should have support to back you up.

8. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

As Middlemarch says, ideally, one would criticise the behaviour and not the student.

But when it comes to a lesson from hell like this, most of us have called a student/students idiots or similar (and the number of times I wanted to shout Shut the **** up! in my teaching career - it was a dream of mine to win the Lottery , do that and walk out of the class telling students it didn't matter about my job any more!)

Any Head worth their salt should be supportive of their staff here - go in or at the very least send a Head of Dept/Year to give them a thorough rollicking - with no undertones of 'actually its your fault you can't control them' that comes with it in too many schools.

You may have to apologise to the group but I would do it in such a way that they realise THEY were out of line and apologise back.

Then I would call your Union and it sounds like you might be well advised to look for another school with a Head like that!

9. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I'd tell the students, 'I'm very sorry that I used the word idiot. Thank you for letting the head know. What I meant to say was that your behaviour was unacceptable. As a result we will now be redoing the assessment in order for you all to show that you to do know how to behave.'

10. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

To a point yes, but people should be responsible for their behaviour. That's why it is the person who is punished for the wrongdoing.

11. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I think I've told a few teachers to stop behaving like idiots myself? and perhaps the odd head teacher?.

12. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I told my last Head he was (and I quote) a "stupid idiot" the last time he and I were in his office together...

13. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Ah but these days bad behaviour is all the teachers' fault.

The new phrase is BfL and if you have a slip up you'll have to improve your BfL and be observed loads of time to check....sorry support.......

14. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Ooh, go for it!!

I am sick to the back teeth of kids telling their parents. for example, a pack of lies and then being asked to explain myself. kids have FAR too much power and know how to use it, but you'd think that parents wouldn't be so easily manipulated.

With reference to the OP, I usually ask the kids if they're idiots. Of course, they say no to which I reply, 'Then why are you behaving like one?'

Just let them criticise me on that!!

15. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

The problem is all this 'pupil voice' makes them think they have some power.

Oddly, never heard of 'teacher voice'......

16. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

"I am sorry that you are an idiot." Would that appease the sensitive little plants?

[​IMG]

17. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Most of the time, any reasonable instruction from the teacher will be for the benefit for the students. Students are not beaten, they are not forced to do hard labour and usually are asked several times to follow instructions when they should follow instructions fast especially for an assessment. The group the OP describe have behaved badly and as others have suggested a word from SLT and in fact if I were the head, I would teach them for a. couple of lessons to ensure they knew exactly how to behave.

18. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

Where will this all end!!! I'd be out of that school faster than a bullet out of a gun. Unbelievable!!

19. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

We once asked our headteacher (now long gone, destroying another school with his mixture of incompetence and inadeuuacy) to show is how it should be done. He decided to remain in his bunker.

20. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Sadly this is fairly typical. I've had kids complain because I told them to shut up. Yesterday I said they were behaving like *** and they had another moan.

Unfortunately pupil centred schooling has made them all incredibly soft. They really are all a bunch of wet blankets. They're going to have such fun when they have to exist out of this bubble of babying and molly-coddling.