1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I thought passing the interview was the hardest part....

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Training_2_Teach, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

I was wrong, It's passing the documentation part to get to the bloomin country! [​IMG]
    It doesn't end there, once you get in the country you have to pass the health checks and then further wait for them to issue you a residency visa!

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

No, it isn't good at all, jkhanom. The redtape in the UAE is a pain in the neck and it is also blooming expensive, especially if you have to send things off to the FCO by DHL or FedEx.

3. Im finding the same for the country I'm going to!

Still, after the time I've been having at work lately, I know I only have 105 days in total until I leave for my new life. So I can get through it.

4. It's worth the time and money (if your school is a good one they will refund your costs) but please be aware once you arrive in the UAE you will have more paperwork hoops to jump through and it will be a slow process getting things like your visa, driving licence, ID card, internet and phone etc etc - especially if you arrive during Ramadan! You will learn to be patient and accept that things here happen as and when they are ready to and no amount of ranting will change this :) Just smile and say Inshallah, or you will end up very stressed and unhappy. The pace of life is a relaxed one - not productive for meeting deadlines but that is their way. It is not unusual for appointments to be 30 minutes or so late and when they say they will come tomorrow it could be 11pm! Good luck I am sure the effort will be worth the new life in the long run - the sun is usually shining and that makes it all worth while. XX