1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I thought it was a lorry reversing.....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Nellyfuf2, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Established commenter

"I thought it was a lorry reversing", - said Mr Nell when I asked him why he had not responded our fire alarm going off.
    I thought the little voice that was coming from the fire alarm, that was saying "Fire. Fire" might have been a clue.
    My grandson wanted to light the fire in the living room and I thought we could do that together while his brother was having a bath upstairs.
    Our little fire turned into a blazing inferno that was licking roaring flames out of the hearth and filling the room with smoke.
    Three buckets of water later and a load of sooty water all over the place later.... no sign of Mr Nell. So I sent grandson to fetch Mr him and other grandchild as I thought the chimney was on fire and was preparing to evacuate/call the fire brigade.
    "Didn't you unblock the chimney?" he said.
    "How would I know it was blocked?" I replied.
    Apparently Mr Nell had blocked up the chimney some time earlier this year with a wad of newspaper....... it was this wad that had caught fire.
    We're all OK but the house is a bit smokey.

2. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

I am glad that you are all ok.
    How old is your grandson? Is he likely to have to write a ‘What I did at the weekend’ diary entry at school on Monday? I would enjoy reading it.

agathamorse, lindenlea, nomad and 4 others like this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

"At the weekend me and my brother wanted to make a fire at nanas house but I didn't want to share it with him so I said in front of nana poo you stink and nana said you have to go and have a bath. Then i made a fire on my own because nana didn't know how to but then she went nuts about it and threw some water at it and when my brother came downstairs he said it's not fair! why do I have to have a bath and you dont but your face is all black and nanas letting you get washed with just a bucket. What I liked best about my weekend is that nanas got a fire alarm that sings part of Londons Berning, just the FIRE FIRE bit, and also that grandpa told me I might get to meet a real chimney sweep like in Mary Poppings but I didnt tell nana because she was still running around shouting ."

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

we had a fire at home a few years ago. controlled very quickly, but I was shaky for days, and the mess took weeks to make good.

You have my sympathy

agathamorse likes this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Does the fireplace not have a hinged damper for that purpose? Shine a torch up your chimney. You should be able to see the damper, normally located about a foot higher than the fireplace itself. The damper should always be fully open before lighting a fire and when the fireplace is in use. Close it when it's not it use.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  6. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

I’m glad you are all ok though the smoked haddock vibe needs work.

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Just glad your safe Nelly and your loved ones. It could have so easily been a greater disaster.

8. Nellyfuf2

sbkrobson. You made me laugh so much.
    There is no damper here. We had the chimney lined last year with thermocrete. We had to. The house is 200 years old and three floors and the flue was shot to pieces - smoke was coming into the bedrooms. It was lethal. Gradually over the years we have noticed
    that smoke was leaking from the fire in the living room. It got really bad but is now fixed.
    We had this flue relined and now we can hear every noise in the neighborhood. Pigeons and traffic noise is amplified and fills the room. Very strange. Sound is amplified by our new clear flue.
    And the fire draws now. For years it was quite hard to light. Hmm.
    Tell you what though. If I had not doused it I reckon it would have done some damage. Near miss.
    Mr Nell is somewhat repentant. He has cleaned up the sooty water and lit a nice gentle fire in the hearth. Took the grandkids to the cellar to fetch kindling. All that.
    You forgot to say sbkrobson, that the bathed grandson ended up in the front yard naked. Before we realised it was the blockage that was the problem, we did think it was a chimney fire and we did evacuate.

sbkrobson likes this.
  9. Nellyfuf2

Being in a tall house we have always been aware of fire risks. On the top floor we had planned escape routes which meant climbing out of the bathroom window onto a side extension and slithering down the stone roof to the external steps.
    Recently my kids have told me that they have actually climbed out of said window and sat on the stone roof when they were young.
    The little baggers.
    (We have outsteps and intaking doors. It's a weaving thing.)

10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Is it cold in your neck of the woods?
    It's been glorious here today.

11. Nellyfuf2

It has been nice today. About 23 degrees. But the evening has been chilly and so we desired fire.

12. Nellyfuf2

My nanna lit a fire but it set the room on fire so I brought her some lemonade and she said bad words. And then the fire was bad. We went into the garden and E had nothing on. Moopa got in trouble. We put the fire out. Moopa made a better fire. E. was shouting and we had to read Harry and the Dinosaurs not Sparrowhawk. Nannas house is very smelly. I like the smell. But nanna does not. We had hot chocolate. It had lumps in. Nanna has been showing us where the phones is and how to escape from windows.

13. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

"the evening has been chilly and so we desired fire."
    Be careful what you wish for...
    Glad it was no worse. Any chance you could get the room(s) redecorated on the insurance, because of smoke damage?

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

15. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

It's the kind of excitement you can do without. I doubt the insurance woukd pay up unless you have accidental damage on it. The wad of newspaper would be a hole the insurers would gleefully wriggle through.

16. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Senior commenter

I'm glad that you are all safe that's the main thing. What a to do !
    It's a " Saturday night fever" type of thing you could have well done without .

17. Nellyfuf2

Thanks for the chat. I was a bit over hyped with adrenalin afterwards. Far too much excitement. It was just a lot of smoke really. But it is not too bad now and nothing like the smoke emissions we were tolerating just before we got the chimney flue lined.
    We're laughing about it now. It was that bottle of lemonade my grandson fetched from the kitchen when I sent him to get some water. He thought I was thirsty..........