1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I think the Albanian educational system breaches basic human rights, but I don’t know where to start

Discussion in 'Education news' started by yehmosestohmeradosthai, Sep 19, 2019.

1. I don’t mean a particular school, or teacher, I mean the entire system. Also, some might say from the description it doesn’t sound like that bad. It feels like that to me, so that’s why I used it. At the very least I think it lacks the basic rights of mutual respect between students and teachers, and human dignity. But if I misused or overreacted, I apologize in advance.

Let me explain a typical class hour: it starts with a military-like salute when everyone stands up from their seats when the teacher enters and doesn’t sit down until the teacher says so; and boy, there are teachers who love to abuse that power, especially if they are angry for something unrelated and make the students suffer for it. The implication is clear: the teacher is more powerful than the students and they have nobody to stop them from using that power. Of course, the justification why this is done is to instill discipline in students.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

And your point is?

catherinedavid and sabram86 like this.
  3. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I bet many UK teachers would love that kind of reaction when they enter the classroom.

catherinedavid and blazer like this.
  4. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

What business is it of yours to interfere?

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Sounds wonderful.

BTBAM85 and blazer like this.
  6. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

It beats being stabbed or sexually assaulted!

catherinedavid likes this.
  7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Albania is another place with another culture.
    Bullying teachers can be pretty dreadful, but I'm not sure whether we can or should do anything to change their culture.

8. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Weird post.
    It's reminded me of how many times I heard students try the "it's a breach of my human rights" line 5/10 years ago. Not heard it so much recently though... guess they've all moved to Albania.

9. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

That sounds like the comprehensive school I went to in the 80s. When I worked in a school the students weren't supposed to sit down until asked to do so. I don't think being expected to stand up is a breach of human rights.

10. yoda92

yoda92 New commenter

I don't ever sit down during lessons. So that can be 5 hours. The kids don't sit until I've asked them to. I am in control and have the power in my lab; as it should be. The salute sounds like a nice little routine thing; but maybe you read something into it.

catherinedavid likes this.
  11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Is the salute any different to the pledge of allegiance they do in US schools?

12. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

When I attended secondary school, we had to stand up whenever a teacher entered the room and were not allowed to sit down until told to. It was a perfectly normal mark of respect in those days. We knew no different and didn't feel unhappy about it. In retrospect, I certainly don't think our human rights were breached in any way.

13. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

Children expected to follow a rule and salute the person in charge? Maybe we should tell the army about this one? I mean that's 90,000 guys and girls expected to salute.....

sabram86 likes this.
  14. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Perhaps the spectre of the country's late communist dictator Enver Hoxha still haunts the school corridors of Albania. Both he and his wife were former schoolteachers.

15. catherinedavid

catherinedavid New commenter

And you are worried about Albania, because..........?!?!

16. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

In many academies in England pupils are not allowed to remove their Blazers no matter how warm they feel until they are given the go ahead to do so from the HT.

phlogiston likes this.
  17. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Because he is a troll? OP joined TES the day he made the first post on this thread 3 weeks ago and has never logged on or made another post since. Clip clop, clip clop.

phlogiston likes this.
  18. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

Struck me as bait for some naf news story of some kind. "TEACHERS GONE SOFT!!!!!"