1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I think something is seriously wrong

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Mrs Mo, Jan 10, 2012.

1. I posted on here at the end of last year re my low white blood cell count (leukopenia) and battle with infection. I have been referred to an immunologist and have my appointment on 24 Jan. I know this was probably a mistake but I have done a lot of googling on the subject of leukopenia and can rule out several of the causes that are given e.g. steroid treatment, HIV (my test was negative), chemo, diabetes (tested neg for this), which basically leaves cancer or lupus as the cause.
    I am suspicious of lupus as 3 years ago I was diagnosed with an unknown ("undifferentiated") autoimmune condition. They couldnt pin it down to any known illness but said it could well evolve into something. However, if it isnt lupus, that basically leaves cancers such as lymphoma, myeloma and so on. I have some symptoms common to both conditions. Either way, it looks serious.

2. I posted on here at the end of last year re my low white blood cell count (leukopenia) and battle with infection. I have been referred to an immunologist and have my appointment on 24 Jan. I know this was probably a mistake but I have done a lot of googling on the subject of leukopenia and can rule out several of the causes that are given e.g. steroid treatment, HIV (my test was negative), chemo, diabetes (tested neg for this), which basically leaves cancer or lupus as the cause.
    I am suspicious of lupus as 3 years ago I was diagnosed with an unknown ("undifferentiated") autoimmune condition. They couldnt pin it down to any known illness but said it could well evolve into something. However, if it isnt lupus, that basically leaves cancers such as lymphoma, myeloma and so on. I have some symptoms common to both conditions. Either way, it looks serious.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Try to relax will you.
    The internet often gives great information, but in cases like yours it can just scare the living daylights out of you.
    It might be serious yes, but it might be nothing to worry about so keep off the googling, try to chill and wait until you get your hospital appointment. Easier said than done I know, but try.

4. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I agree with Belle, although I know it's difficult. Don't climb the mountain until (or if) it's in front of you.

However, either of those scenarios (lupus/lymphoma) are not the end of the world.