1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I think it's time to leave...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Roastieks1, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Roastieks1

Roastieks1 New commenter

I have been at my school for 2 years and have just started my third. I was promoted to KS1 phase leader this year.

I have been disagreeing with the way my school has done things ever since our new deputy joined in January. He has unrealistic expectations, particularly in the case of EYFS and KS1. He takes little notice of our teaching and is more concerned with how the classroom look and if the 5 year olds can underline the date appropriately (he said age is just a number and by week 7 they should be more than capable of this :/) This week he was extremely rude and unprofessional to me for not the first time and then proceeded to do the same to 2 other teachers in my phase.

I think it may have just been the icing on the cake and i'm seriously considering handing in my notice for a Christmas exit. My only concern is what to tell my head teacher. I don't want to rock the boat, a few teachers have tried to complain about the new deputy and it fell upon deaf ears.

SLT have been known to make the lives of teachers who leave pretty miserable in their final weeks, and I want to make my exit as smooth as possible.

Any help with what to tell my head?

Thank you

2. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I think you owe it to your head to at least try and raise the issue. Then your resignation won't come as a surprise. As for being nasty in the weeks leading up, just go sick if they attempt anything. People deserve to be treated with courtesy in a workplace.

Sometimes people also just need calling out. I recently told another staff member that their feedback was unrealistic and detailed the reasons why. I said I appreciated their position as a subject leader but that they needed to appreciate the reality of the situation at hand and give feedback based on that. It was awkward, but you know what? They've been very, very careful around me since!

3. Fluffy_Koala

Fluffy_Koala New commenter

Hey Roastie,

Definitely try to raise the issue and then, if it does fall on deaf ears, you can hand in your resignation. You said it’s been raised before? They’ll realise soon enough that they are losing good staff because of one DHT who seems to be on a power trip - it’s not worth it.

I wouldn’t recommend going off sick if they try to make your life difficult because that might hinder you getting a job (amount of sick days etc). I would recommend not giving a [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] and letting it wash over you.

Also, start putting some feelers out for jobs incase you do decide to leave. Sometimes the reality of a teacher going for an interview makes SLT see things slightly differently and they’ll realise you’re not actually bluffing.

Good luck!

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

"Just time for a change."

What? I thought you were happy here!

"Yes, I really was. But hey ho."

So what's the problem?

"Like I said. Time to move on."

What are you not telling me? I still don't get it. I don't want to lose you.

"
    You want me to be honest? Really?"

Act reluctant. If the HT really wants to know s/he will press you on it and you can divulge. In the calm and measured way you described to us above. Not a personality problem. A difference in outlook and ethos.

If the HT suspects what the problem may be and doesn't want to confront it and supports the DH then s/he will probably not push it.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

In my resignation letter I politely stated that my aspirations for my subject area had diverged significantly from those of the SLT, so without implying fault on either side I thought the best solution was for me to move on to something else.

Irreconcilable differences. When enough other people have had them and clear off maybe the HT will wake up to what's going on, but that will take time. If nobody else has them there's no point in staying anyway, because nothing will change. Life's too short - move on.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Good advice in posts #4 & #5

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

And this is sound advice. If you don't say anything those around will believe you genuinely don't mind. You sound tactful and will need to use this in any potential exit interview or other meeting you may request. It will be effective particularly if you are an otherwise valued member which I am sure you are ...you sound like a fab concerned
    teacher one I would most certainly want to keep in my faculty. Similar happened to me I don't really like confrontation but it worked and the next year I was treated far better. Sometimes you gotta cry if you wanna be fed ..old Spanish saying

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  8. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Raise the concern you have with your HT, this could potentially lead to a mediation with yourself and the deputy, if this does not work, then let your HT know that you will be seeking a new role.

Curae likes this.