1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I think I'm going backwards :-(

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by chicabonita, Feb 2, 2011.

1. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Last week (39 weeks), I had mild period-type pains, lots of BH, loss of appetite, and the "look" of someone approaching labour. The previous week and last week I had a heavy discharge. Now, to be blunt- I don't! I look "really well", I feel quite comfortable (even sleeping is easier) most of the time- getting up from sitting in the car or similar isn't great, still- and basically I feel as far away from labour as I ever have!
    Will be 40+4 tomorrow and starting to despair. Will the midwife arrange for me to have a sweep, or what might happen? (1st baby.

2. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

When's your midwife appointment? I had a sweep done at 40+4 but she told me that my baby was nowhere near ready to be born and booked my induction for 40+10.
    I'd had no signs at all (incidentally, how do you 'look' like you're about to go into labour??) and was able to go out every day for walks, and just do everything as normal. My waters broke at 40+9, in the evening, and I was really surprised.
    I'd imagine you'll get a sweep when you next see the MW and they'll book you in for induction. It's usually booked at 10 days or 2 weeks overdue, depending on where you live.
    Don't despair! Make the most of your time, and sleep, sleep, sleep!!!

3. i had a sweep at 40 weeks exactly which failed (they're only 50% effective according to the stats i found - your cervix has to be favourable for it to have any chance of succeeding) and i went to bed for an afternoon nap 3 days later and woke up after an hour having soaked myself following my waters breaking during my nap. no sign, no indication, no "look" of going into labour that day. i was resigned to having a CS at 41 weeks.

4. chicabonita

Haha, well a friend said I looked ready and also the m/w last week said so- a professional instinct apparently (perhaps like seeing a kid with a particular gleam in his eye and thinking, hey up, I'll keep an eye on you..!)
    Next m/w appointment is tomorrow afternoon, so I was sort of wondering whether she'd get me up on the couch and have a feel about (best knickers scenario) or make another appointment for any sort of messing about to take place.
    Was also sort of wondering whether (a) I was imagining all the pre-labour 'signs' last week, as I had been convinced the baby was going to be here before EDD, or (b) whether they can just disappear, ie your 'progress' can falter or stop altogether...
    Thank you for comments, btw- it's nice to hear what happened to other people, because I think you can start to feel quite alone in this scenario!

5. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I think your MW will just ask if you want the sweep tomorrow at your appointment. It doesn't take long, and it doesn't hurt by the way!
    It's easy to feel alone, but you're not at all. I was on the Summer babies 2009 thread and quite a lot of us went overdue. I'm now 27+4 with my 2nd baby and i imagine i'll go overdue again. If i'm on time or early i'll be pretty shocked!!
    Good luck and let us know what happens!

6. kittenjames

kittenjames New commenter

no you're not alone. just over 3 weeks ago i was induced at 40+12. i had 2 sweeps, one at 40 wks and one at 41wks, i had a bloody show and some contractions with both and thought labour was imminent. it wasn't! i was despairing and regularly bursting into tears as i was so fed up of being pregnant. the turning point came when i finally gave in and accepted that baby wasn't ready to come and there was nothing i could do about it. i went for a long walk every day and bounced on my birth ball lots. it all helps because when i was finally induced i was 4cm dilated. you'll probably have a sweep tomorrow or you could ask for one - don't wear your best knickers and take a pad! good luck, let us know how you get on.

7. chica, the day I went into labour I'd got up, seen the midwife who said head still wasn't fully engaged and told me where to go for a sweep the following week, wrapped up a load of eBay stuff, headed off into town and posted it, had a stroll around, got home and looked after my OH who was sent home ill from work, cancelled the work meal I was meant to be going to, started making dinner....and then my waters went at 8pm while I was dancing in the kitchen! Had absolutely no signs beforehand - no BHs, no twinges of any kind really. Had her at 10.56am the next day! It can sneak up on you, so don't be disheartened. Every PCT has different guidelines on when they do a sweep (mine wouldn't do it til 40+7 but I had her at 39+6) but there's no harm in asking. Good luck! The Winter Babies thread is coming to the end of its list so if you have any questions I'm sure one of us will be able to answer them, especially once bump has actually arrived!

8. chicabonita

Thank you ladies for all these replies [​IMG]
    (Just watched one born every minute on catchup so now am in bits again- dog thinks I've gone mad!)

9. I could have written your post - I am in exactly the same situation! It's all bizarre. Slept well last night, feel comfortable. All signs of imminent action have vanished. Just keeping fingers crossed and bouncing on ball. You aren't alone. Good luck.

10. You know, maybe the sleeping well is actually your body preparing! They don't call it "labour" for nothing ;-)