1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I think I took the wrong job...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lilypops1, Sep 9, 2019.

1. lilypops1

lilypops1 New commenter

Long story short, I took a job midway through last year to get a better work life balance, closer to home for my family (very young). It was a SENCO job which I thought I would love - it has ended up not being quite the same as the job I thought I was applying for. I've now feel like I made a mistake and all I want is to get my own class back - I barely do any teaching and I am worried that I'm becoming deskilled in the areas I love (I realise I'm gaining skills in other areasl. It's SLT and so I'm worried about how head teachers would view my choices. I just feel trapped and like I have taken all of the joy out of my job... the prob is I was only at my school before that since Sept 2017 so I feel like I'd be expensive and not look reliable or tenacious... What can I do? Anybody ever been in a sinilar position and made it back to the classroom? How many people have managed to return to teaching successfully?

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

you don't have to be expensive, that is up to you.

I went back after 2 years and 2 terms. I didn't really want to go back to teaching, but turns out that's all I can do, and its basically impossible not to get a job......

notreallyme75 and lilypops1 like this.