1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I think I am going to succumb

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Aug 3, 2015.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

To facebook. I have assiduously avoided it as the spawn of Satan forever. However it seems as if I (and mrs B) are the only ones in our family not on it (Even the generation above us seem to be users given the number of invites I have had from them).

So how do I join without it costing me my job through the wrong people accessing it?

Previously I was a member of twitter, it lasted 3 weeks before the sheer brain numbing blandness of it made me unsubscribe.

2. Privacy settings. If you are concerned about your work and home posts getting mixed, confine yourself only to "Friends". "Friends of friends" is a minefield if one of your contacts is, or is a friend of, a work colleague.

My children will not add me as a friend on their FB accounts!

Edited: you don't have to appear as Mr Whoever Blazer either. You can give yourself an alias username if only close friends and family, whom you can inform of it, will be on it. Thwarts people idly searching for your real name.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Twitter is great. I'm always the first to get the local go.... news. It all depends who you follow. On the other hand I just don't want to know what my friends and family are doing all the time. I have a fb account but only use it because a choir I belong to uses it for communications. I guess it's not the thing itself - it's how you use it.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You don't have to use your real name. I don't.

Nobody can find me. I find them.

5. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I have a personal and a professional FB account. My personal is locked down so tightly that I don't get friends requests - because no-one apart from my friends can see my posts and I am not finable on a search. Also - I guess - people do find my professional page, which is completely open, and assume that's it. FB has enriched my relationships with loved ones and friends who are far away - I wouldn't be without it, but it does take some managing to remain private. I rarely get offensive/sensationalist stuff posted because my friends don't 'do' that sort of stuff (I defriend them if they do....). (I do get a ridiculous amount of 'cute cat' stuff though).

My advice would be to find someone who uses it well and take their advice to set up your own account. I'd be happy to sit with you if you live nearby.

6. Dangerous Bauble

Dangerous Bauble Occasional commenter

You can take piccies of your beer and send it to the world.

7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I'm not on it and I struggle to see what benefit it would be to me. My kids wouldn't want me tracking them and if I want to know what friends and family are up to, I'll ring them or, better still, meet up with them. Isn't it a tool for showing the world how wonderful your life is - even if it isn't? I don't need to add 'Facebook envy' to my list of worries. And I spend enough time on here, as it is!

8. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

9. CarlafromCheers

CarlafromCheers New commenter

Like mandala's my facebook account security is tight. I've several times been told that I'm not easy to find to add. I have blocked a few people (some I searched for and blocked and some I blocked when they, in some way or another, annoyed or offended me) and I "see less" of a few others. I know that I've been blocked or "see less" by people I know who find my political opinions and the fact that I find politics interesting irritating.

I like the fact that I can keep in touch with people at my leisure and admire their photos of friends, family, pets and holidays if I feel like it and ignore them if I don't. I'm aware that I have facebook friends who I wouldn't necessarily work hard to have as friends if facebook didn't exist but they're people I like so that's fine.

I've always been careful about what I say about work and colleagues. I wouldn't dream of making negative comments about them and have taken care not to be negative about my employer or, until I retire, my opinion of the educational system in general. That's only common sense.

I know a lot of people have a very low opinion of facebook but I like it very much.

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

You can never assure such a thing on Facebook as you can't fully control what others post. Also as the whole point of Facebook is the data mining of private information to sell on, your privacy is not a top concern. Privacy settings are easy to set up, but you do need to check them regularly as Facebook has a history of resetting user choices during updates.

[​IMG] That is nature of most of it - like a side dish app for daytime Tv people. Lots of good stuff out there if you could ever be bothered trawling through the **** to get there.

11. Can other people tell if you've chosen to "see less" of them?

That would certainly explain a few things.

12. CarlafromCheers

CarlafromCheers New commenter

No, they can't tell. All it means is that you see fewer of their posts on your timeline. You can't really tell if you've been blocked either. There are also times when friends seem to have stopped posting because their posts aren't appearing on your timeline but that seems to be a glitch that occasionally causes you to "see less" despite not changing your settings.

13. Just be really really careful - common sense - no mentioning work - no pictures of you boozing it up, dancing on the tables with your knickers in the air etc etc!!! hahaha!! just imagine that anyone from work would look at it - what would they see? I'm quite para about facebook and am very careful about what I say/ post etc but have relaxed a little since I've left full time... Also - make sure your setting include friends only not friends of friends and keep on checking settings on a regular basis.

Enjoy!

14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

You can also distinguish between 'Friends' and 'Close friends'. You can even post pictures for 'Only Me' then you can preserve them on Facebook or transfer them to your PC or whatever, you can even copy them from FB to post on TES should you wish.

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'm sure one person 'unfriended' me after I pointed out the error of her ways unthinkingly sharing far right clickbait type memes. I have blocked one or two people because I was bored with all their posts about new shoes and handbags.

16. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

You could have just unfollowed them as a less extreme response. That way you can still chat etc on your own terms!

17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Facebook is so old school. Where it's really at, now, is NavelGaze. It's perfect: no security issues, no one to friend or unfollow, nothing to share, nobody to chat to.

19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Sometimes I do that instead of unfriending but, to be honest, there was another reason I didn't want one of them to see my posts.

20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Or omphaloskepsis to the initiated.