1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"I think everybody should have unconscious bias training" says Keir

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BigFrankEM, Aug 15, 2020.

1. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

2. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Keir is an idiot.

Jonntyboy, Kandahar, T34 and 6 others like this.
  3. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

Have can you be certain your unconscious bias isn't prompting you to think that?

4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Done it and the test... hmm not sure if I learned anything more than the obvious... if you take a test by the end of the test you are more familiar with the process so are quicker at it, only this speed is used to judge your unconcious bias apparently... additionally it is in fact rooted in racism and takes no account of personality traits and characteristics, thus when you disregard colour and decide you favour individuals who you find are say hardworking and/or kind it nullifies the test.

agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'll not do one when I have finished not doing Myers Briggs and not interrogating stars or fancy cards.

agathamorse and Laphroig like this.
  6. needabreak

As you are retired dear Rac the chances of you being required to do one are quite frankly remote.

monicabilongame likes this.
  7. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

LoL.

I’m sure “unconscious bias” is prompting everyone to think things you disagree with. Or they could just be bias against terminal stupidity.

Jonntyboy likes this.
  8. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Although I am inclined to agree, I feel he should be cut a certain amount of slack after all what if it became know the leader of the Labour party said Unconscious Bias Training was a load of bowlox? The outcry and recriminations would be enormous so it makes life a lot easier if he just makes the right kind of noises and gets photographed taking a knee etc. What else can he do?

Jonntyboy, Kandahar and needabreak like this.
  9. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

10. costermonger

costermonger Occasional commenter

That is not a surprising opinion for you to hold. It's also not surprising that you are wrong. Again.

11. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

If bias is unconscious then you cannot be trained out of it, as for this to happen you have to be aware of a bias so that you can correct it. And if it is unconscious then you can't be aware of it. Such training is impertinent nonsense, but I can quite see why Mr Starmer has to parrot this ridiculous line; it goes with the territory these days.

12. BigFrankEM

Above reasoning is not the most convincing endorsement of either his decision or his leadership qualities, say I.

newposter likes this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I used to be a dab hand at reading palms.

needabreak and agathamorse like this.
  14. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Well of course you are most welcome to your opinion as I am to mine.;)
    It would take a great deal of courage to to take a stand against this nonsense and courage and politics are rarely mentioned in the same sentence, particularly these days.

Jonntyboy and agathamorse like this.
  15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Also, I'm not drawn to your exclusionary politics.

16. needabreak

Therein lies the problem with this, if its just seen as lip service its worse than useless, it becomes a tick box that we've all done...

17. BigFrankEM

Which is precisely why I wrote to the effect that your previous post had damned Keir's leadership qualities with exceedingly scant praise.

18. needabreak

By that logic if the test makes us aware of it we can be trained out of it, no?

19. needabreak

You designed the test then?

20. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

I would love to see a Labour leader say it was a load of rubbish. Sadly, it will not happen, and this is why Labour will struggle to win back what it has lost.

Jonntyboy likes this.