1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I swear to god when this is over...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by BrightonBoy, Mar 18, 2020.

1. BrightonBoy

BrightonBoy New commenter

After 27 years of teaching I have never felt so undervalued as a human being. Yeah sure - send us in surrounded by hundreds of children everyday. “But the children don’t get ill so much” - yes but I’m 52 and I probably will. I don’t have masks, hand gel, etc.And if one more idiot says “ But you knew what you were getting into” - *** - hardly in the old contract there! You could tell it pained old Bojo to say the schools were closed. Some BS about certain staff will be there for certain students- good luck with that one! I’m all set up remotely to do my job like many other people in many other jobs but I will still get grief. I have loved my job for over a quarter of a century but AFTER this blows over I’m afraid I’m moving on.

Jamvic, drek, Shedman and 8 others like this.
  2. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

Totally understandable -but the economy will have collapsed and there will be around 6,000,000 unemployed and no job vacancies.
    Now after such an economic crisis who do you think the Tory Government will get to pay for it all - the billionaires and the bankers or job seekers?

schoolsout4summer and rachel555 like this.
  3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I am not sure whether having almost all teenagers-many of whom will understandably be angry-out of school with most clubs/parks/attractions/meetings closed-is actually going to cause more risk to the country in the long run.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

Hopefully the teenagers will be so fired up about this that they change the education system in future.... and the government! Will the conservatives get another majority during the next election?

5. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

I'm sure they will.

6. a1976

Well what could be done? People would moan because he didn't close schools and people have moaned because he didn't. Why does everything have to be political? The PM is doing the best he can with the knowledge he and everybody else has at the moment. President Trump is doing the same. I think some good may come out of this situation such as people seeing how selfish they really are and that when things like this happen, young, old, rich and poor will be affected. It may even teach us to appreciate what we have more.

peter12171, drek, agathamorse and 3 others like this.
  7. a1976

I don't think so. I've worked in schools since 2002 and let me tell you, since around 2005, I have noticed A LOT of selfish teens and members of staff who only think of themselves and having a good time. Too many, probably the majority, don't care about an education, they just want to be catered to and entertained. So, no, I don't think being out of school will bother them at all (most of them).

num3bers likes this.
  8. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

In my school most of them have been waiting for this announcement for weeks. They arent that bothered about school. The majority of them will be happy to take predicted grades for A level too , They arent gutted about anything in my experience. God forbid if they reinstate exams a a result of some loud mouthed few kicking up on TV

a1976 likes this.
  9. a1976

Personally, I think they should take the exams during the summer. It's not going to kill them or teachers. After all, all that needs to be done is to administer the examinations and supply or inivigilators could do this, or maybe even SMT since we the public are paying their inflated salaries.

catbefriender likes this.
  10. Taco_123

Taco_123 New commenter

I am honestly so scared about my school/college closing. I am set to do a PGCE in September and i was teaching supply/session-ally at my college. They are closing tomorrow and i pretty much wont be paid unlike the contracted staff, they all can't wait and i am literally panicking.

It looks like i will be applying for Universal Credit but that can only get me so far, i have bills :(. More than likely i will be looking for a job. The worst thing is i was offered a contract at the college working with SEN learners, but because of conoravirus it has been put on hold so i wont start until it all blows over. Which could be in months!

11. RonaldMcDonald

RonaldMcDonald New commenter

I dread to think what some of my pupils will get up to whilst they are off....half will come back fully entrenched in some kind of 'lord of the flies' style gang culture and pregnant of course...

12. Patriciahh

Patriciahh New commenter

Well - I teach primary school but have teenage children - my daughter will be missing out on her A levels this year. She has spent the whole evening in tears - full of fear/ anxiety and trepidation about her future. While most of her teachers were lovely today - one of them had her in tears - threatening them with poor grades. My daughter has an unconditional uni offer so doesn't need great grades but she has worked hard so is sad enough about not been able to see the results of her efforts.
    This young girl who really wants to come into school with me to help out because she wants to "make a difference" in this time has been upset by a teacher - clearly dealing with her own stress and fear. We as teachers - particularly of teenagers should know they put on a front and give it the big " I am" but please please remember that whatever they say and no matter how much they seem not to care - deep down they are still little kids and particulalry at this time need re assurance and some love and acceptance..

agathamorse likes this.