1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I still find it incredible that a YR teacher can be paid the same as an English Lit teacher at A Level.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by The Red Heron, Jan 21, 2009.

1. I haven't read all the posts, will do so in a minute.

Just need to get my anger and indignation off my chest.

No, had to delete what I wrote, would probably have been banned.

How dare you be so crass, Heron [​IMG]

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

I forgot to say: great amusement

3. How do people thing reception children ever get to secondary school? could they do their a'levels without being able to read, write, count, add up, have a conversation, know their own name, the days of the week, co-operation, responsibilty, interest in learning, opportunity to develop friendships, etc

Also have to remember the secondary school children can understand why behaviour/level of effort is important and use that to base choices for their future. Try telling a four year old that they need to learn to read or they won't get a job......

4. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Hi Inky [​IMG]

There is a difference between babysitting a class for a day and letting them play, which they will do very happily, and actually teaching them new concepts and skills which is much harder.
    Not that I think a day of unstructured play is going to hurt the class, many of the children would love it but that isn't what teaching is about.

I feel exhausted just thinking about it all!

5. Excellent post, moonpenny.

(the long one, I mean!)

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Hi moonpenny[​IMG]
    And remember that many children arrive in Reception with no idea how to play or talk or -

7. Oh RIGHT, you've got a friend!
    Wow - you must be right then! [​IMG]

8. I agree. Don't often post but I felt the need. Don't teach YR, but currently teaching Y1 (I too, moved from Y6) and in charge of FS and KS1 and Literacy. I would give OP a week in charge of a YR class and all that entails and then be very interested in their opinion.

I get really annoyed by people who somehow think Primary teachers are "thick". I am academically capable of teaching English at secondary level. I chose to teach younger children!

9. moonpenny

Yes and worse. Some of them have been known to eat things such as PVA glue, coins and pencils.

Thank you Teddy .

Schwarzenegger

...similar to Kindergarden Cop, when he get tied up and the kids run riot around him[​IMG]

10. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

You assume this doesn't happen in a secondary school?

12. moonpenny

Pass on my congratulations to your son, Kirsi - you must both be feeling elated.[​IMG]

13. EmiW

EmiW New commenter

Haha, lilachardy I was just thinking the same thing!

I think Redheron's post is ridiculous. How can you know what the whole job entails in just one day? Yes, in secondary the marking workload can be excessive, and motivating teenagers can be difficult. But you shouldn't assume that all primary teachers have no subject knowledge and that their job is easier! I am secondary, but I think catering for all those ages and making complex things like learning to read or count accessible, must be so difficult!

I am probably repeating what other people have said here, but I think we both do difficult and important jobs, and there is nothing to be gained by criticising others' workload.

Just an addition though - we do cater to a wide range in secondary too. I teach English and Modern Languages, and I have mixed classes, where the weakest child has a reading/writing age of 7.

14. Exactly! We all have the title, teacher as our profession.

15. Thanks MP.
    A lot of the children I tutor, and have tutored, especially in Dyslexia will hopefully be 'inspired'.
    MrK and I are walking on air.
    My late father will be dancing in Heaven!
    Kirsi
    xx

16. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Reception - taught properly - is very demanding.
    Reception teachers teach <u>children</u>, not a subject.
    All age ranges present different challenges and demands to conscientious teachers.
    (Lovely news Kirsi)

17. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

All teaching is hard work! Reception teachers don't have as much marking - they have to plan to cover all 6 areas of learning, indoors and outdoors as continuous provision, in addition to individual lessons. In our reception class the teachers have to put out 14 different activities outdoors in the morning and 14 indoors, all with objective cards so that any adult helpers can focus their learning. They have to complete informal observations and relate them to the 117 - yes 117 scale points on the eyfsp - they have to provide evidence for all 117 of these points, photgraphic, annotated work, recordings, children's own evaluations - for all 30 pupils, then they have undertake formal observations and use them as a basis for their planning for each individual child, they have to relate children's learning to the 4 over arching themes of the EYFS, they have to seek children's opinions when planning topics and ensure that they meet their individual interests.They do not get any time during the day when they are not with the children (in many schools children in reception don't have "break" and assembly times). They are also often expected to help the children during lunchtime; particularly in the early days, in addition to setting up new activities for the afternoon. Children at this age have short attention spans, the phonics lesson alone takes 20 minutes, but has about 6 activities, all of which need to be prepared and ready - 4 year olds won't wait. 20 minutes worth of lesson can take over an hour to resource and prepare (that's after the lesson plan is written). Reception teachers also now have a duty to seek the views of parents and use them in children's eyfs profiles, all the profile data has to be put into eye profile and analysed every 6 weeks. On top of this they wipe noses, dry tears, teach children how to share, take turns, read, write, play, talk, listen, and love to learn. They have to deal with parents on a daily basis, who are often anxious, sometimes angry when boundaries need to be set (reception teachers can often be the first person to say no to a child!), and need lots oof TLC and reassurance. I wouldn't be a secondary teacher for all the tea in china. I respect the job they do and I have every admiration for them. I've taught across the primary range, every age group has its pro's and cons but never underestimate how time consuming, labour intensive and emotionally draining the reception class can be.

Sorry about the rant - I feel all better now!

18. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

As a Reception teacher, red heron, who is DROWNING in assessment, paperwork, new initiatives, mixed messages and a balls up of a new Early Years curriculum, I am HIGHLY offended by your post.

Well done, Moonpenny for your fabulous post about exactly how hard it is to teach in Reception (4 and 5 year olds for those not in the know!). I work damned hard and deserve EVERY penny of my wage, as does EVERY teacher from Nursery to A-levels! I've done supply teaching red heron and, as you pointed out recently, it's nice isn't it when you can leave at 3.45 and be done for the day?? Not to mention having your evenings free!

Go and teach Reception for a year, deal with the EYFS and the Eye-profile, which I'm pretty sure you know NOTHING about, and then come back preaching about how Early Years teachers don't deserve the same pay as everyone else!

19. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

Well said, Curlygirly!!

xx

20. Excellent post VP