1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I smile too much when I'm teaching - Nerves

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by cys2017, May 7, 2018.

1. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

Okay so some people go red when they are teaching and others shake etc. However I smile. It doesn't sound that bad but I have had the feedback from my tutors that I smile too much, I am aware that this is due to my nerves. I need some help with my reflection and want to know what effect this could have on the students learning like the smiling aspect...

can anyone help me please? any stratergies I could use to stop smiling as much would be good too. its mainly if I know I'm am being observed or know its an assessment if that makes sense.

thanks

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

OK, let's imagine for a moment you are a student. You have a choice of two subject teachers for the next academic year. One seems unable to stop smiling, while the other has a face like a wet weekend. Which would you prefer ?

You know its down to nerves, so the long term answer is to work on not being so nervous and getting strung out about observations and assessments.

Trainee teachers and nervousness go together like bangers and mash. Standing in front of a class of students can be daunting. The more you do it, the less nervous you will be about it.

Try and view observations or assessments as opportunities to show what you can do, rather than being judged on what you are doing.

Look on the bright side. A nervous smile is less of a problem than nervous flatulence. :D

3. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

Don't let it worry you. You'll be observed more just now than at any point in your future career. Everyone gets nervous under observation and your reaction to it could be much worse! Just acknowledge the tutor feedback with the comment that it's mostly down to nerves and isn't part of your day to day teaching.

4. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

1. Yes, mentally tell your tutors to shove off! As one sensible observer once said to me, 'all teachers have their idiosyncracies'

2. Do the opposite during observation, then when the observer complains that you were too serious, tell them that you did it because they told you not to smile too much.

You choose which strategy you like :)

Seriously, does this person have nothing more helpful to say to you as an EBI?! This is a put down not a helpful point for development. Carry on doing what you're doing. Honestly! The smiling will have no effect on the students whatsoever! if they don't like it, they will soon tell you!

Good luck!

5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Smiling is good. People will like it. Don't stop.

What stupid and pointless feedback anyway...Where do they find these people...?

1 person likes this.
  6. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

Just be yourself, and if that means lots of smiles, your students and colleagues are very fortunate. If that's all your tutor can pick you up on, you must be doing a great job.

7. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I would love to be in a class with a smiley teacher! Don’t change. :)

Pomza likes this.
  8. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

can I private message someone on what I put in my reflection about this because I need to send it to her? help would be appreciated. thanks everyone who has commente so far. but unfortunately it been made a lot more serious than it is