1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I simply don't have authority with my classes

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by TheGeezer, Sep 16, 2018.

1. TheGeezer

TheGeezer New commenter

I qualified as a teacher in 2013 and have somehow managed to continue teaching in schools despite great difficulties with behaviour management. I've had "times out" doing tutoring and suchlike, but, having read the latest guru on behaviour management, have been tempted back in, and despite my chequered employment history get taken on, my subject being a "shortage" one. Having started a new job this September, as a long term supply through an agency, I've finally come to the conclusion that, for some mysterious reason I just lack authority in front of a crowd of kids. I've thought this for a long time, but, on reading Tom Bennett on the "myth of classroom presence" I've been prepared to have another go at winning respect through simply consistently applying sanctions till classes submit. It's still early days, but what has struck me with almost all my classes - predominantly KS3 - is that there has been absolutely no "honeymoon period" except with the year 7s. Indeed, thinking back, I think that this has always been the case for me with the many new classes I've had in the different places I've worked. I notice that classes are failing to be quiet from the outset: even when they are waiting outside the classroom prior to their first lesson with me, I'm having to repeatedly call for quiet. The "honeymoon period", about which teachers always speak - that supposed automatic wariness with a new teacher that normally lasts at least a few lessons - just isn't happening. Somehow there is something about me that screams "has no authority". I don't think it's specifically a problem with kids, but rather with CROWDS, of, frankly, any age. Crowds seem to operate at a distinctly primitive level, picking up the "scent of fear" or whatever that might be. I'm mid-career switcher to teaching, and, thinking about it, in my pre-teacher life I have found the times I have had to manage a crowd very difficult.

So, time to give my notice, only a week in my case.