1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I shall call him Tiny.........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tidal, Aug 21, 2015.

1. tidal

tidal New commenter

It's amazing what can cheer me up in the grey damp early morning light when sleep isn't possible and the cares of the world lie heavily on my mind.

Deciding that I wasting my time in bed, I got roughly dressed and pottered out to my seat in the garden over-looking the pond

To my surprise I not only saw the usual toads and frogs flopping around (as they do) but swimming through the water came a common or smooth newt
    This may seem like an odd thing to cheer me up (the tadpoles may agree) but it's a first for my pond and the first I have seen for many years.

So I am happier now and I shall call him Tiny
    Because he's my newt [​IMG]

2. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

I call our cat Tiny for short! It's an ironic name because she is a big cat who looks more like a male in terms of size. Her proper name is TC.

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Hope Tiny has a long and happy newt life.

4. nacca

nacca New commenter

'My newt' :)

Saw it coming but it's still funny!

5. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Hahaha. I is dense. Obv

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I hope that you will do everything in your power to deter Herons, if there are any of the big white swines in your area. I guess you know just how endangered British amphibians are, to have three different species in one pond is remarkable these days. Well done you.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When I moved to Bracknell with my family in 1962 it was only just beginning as a New Town. The woods were crawling with newts, grass snakes, slow worms and even lizards. We used to keep them as pets which was probably a bad idea but I'm sure our impact was small compared to the house building that followed over the next two or three decades. I'm glad there are some left. I hope it has got a mate tidal.

8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Congratulations on having a top-notch pond, ecologically speaking. Newts only live in the best. Make sure there is plenty of cover around the edges of the pond, especially if it shelves up around the edges because if newts swim up into the shallows to get warm, the blackbirds will have them. (I have loads of flat rocks for them to hide under.)

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

when i tool down an old whall to rebuild it for a customer i was surprised as to how many newts where hiding behind and in it......they go moved on to new locations near the pond but i must have moved over 30 of them and this is in a garden in London.

Now they have a new home and a new wall to hide behind.The man who owns the land says in the year his small ponds are flowing with the creatures.

10. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

My namesake: aren't they great?

I miss them: we put a pond in at our old house and they arrived straight away. Every March I'd recognise the coming of spring in their return. We don't have a pond in this garden. Those newts always cheered me up.

We also used to have lots of slow worms in that garden. Not bad for a London suburb.

(Yesterday afternoon there was a big mean-looking dog fox sleeping on the lawn.)

PS: I've been out today so have just been catching up with all the shenanigans on here. Very sorry you have gone, Tidal. I hope this will be a temporary state of affairs.

11. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Tidal gone? was there a goodbye? Did I miss something?

12. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Gone to sleep?

13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

14. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Thank you smooth newt - somehow I had missed those pages. I am alternating between a new Mac and my old laptop and as my laptop with Windows and Chrome was blocked from the TES site - though that seemed to have been sorted out last night - but probably academic as I am now well and truly P*SSED OFF at all the nonsense going on here. Tidal's banning could well be my last straw. I see Dunteachin feels she might be on "their" list too. My P*SSED OFFness might qualify me too

Frankly me dears I now don't give a damn. Well done to the folk who have wrecked the place... the Mods, the trolls, and the spiteful. The help and support some people have given on here will be lost now to the poor souls being brow beaten and bullied. I hope those responsible feel proud of themselves.

15. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

[​IMG]

16. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

We had the same thing about 3 months ago..just found the newt in the pond, I was beaming all day, and had to keep checking it was still there. I've not seen it for a while but I do hope it is still around, and maybe that there's enough to breed next year. If one found its way, I'm hoping others can follow.

It's amazing what little things can cheer you up, I've been known to get very chuffed at the quality of compost in my compost bins...

17. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

When we moved in, we inherited a very small pond and rockery, in a corner of the back garden. The pond was only about the size of a dustbin lid, more like a ground level bird bath. Only after about a decade of uxorial urging did I clear it out. The bottom was covered in sludge, which took a lot of clearing out: too late did I realise that this was probably the waterproof lining! I the Spring of the following year, the whole pond was a gelatinous mass of frogspawn, which then became a wriggling mass of tadpoles. With metamorphosis complete, as you approached the pond, many pairs of eyes would break surface and look at you. Suddenly, all the little frogs seemed to disappear. I don't know where they went, as we never found any hopping around in the garden.

18. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Monty Gone, eat your heart out.

19. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Strangely though, this only happened for a couple of years. After that, the frogs never returned. I don't know whether something got into the pond water.