1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I seriously doubt my ability as a teacher...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Zadok1, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

I find it hard to believe that you're not good at something.... those that are dancing around the staff room telling everyone how brilliant they are probably need to because no one else is saying it.
    I am brilliant at behaviour management... but struggle to plan well in advance and my planning on paper rarely looks like the lessons I teach. In other words I have strengths and weaknesses... but I don't think I'm any better or any worse than a teacher who struggles to keep their Y9s from jumping on the desks when they have planned a masterpiece lesson.
    I teach English and I get really annoyed with those kids who are smug about being able to spell and read fluently.. so much so that they try to show their disdain for any child who can't... so I start every reading lesson by talking with the kids about how we all have different skills and who says being able to read a long word is any better than being able to score a goal.. or being a good friend. I also point out that I have a whole degree in reading but that the science teachers can read words I can't... but I would have a really good try at.
    I think that the most damaging thing to our profession is that a bunch of people in government have tried to decide what makes a good teacher... it has to be measurable, quantifiable... and usually involves lots of boxes to tick. All of which has very little to do with teaching children what they need to learn in order to function in the real world.
    Take another look at yourself and see what impact you have on the children you teach... but don't just look at the added value... measure how many children smile at you and how many children turn to you if they're upset.

2. I have also been teaching since Jan 2000 and lack confidence in my ability to being a teacher. In my last school I found it difficult to get on with our technician, and it was decided that I would be on the informal compaticy procedure and after getting a 2 in a lessong ob <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">in April then when I started the informal the next observation was a 4. so you can see why I have little confidence in my teaching. I also feel that we don't really teach any more we only train
    children to pass exams, there is no time to actually teach them anything. so it is not just you </font><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">who feels that way I think there are a lot of teacher who feel the same

</font>

3. casper

casper New commenter

Even harder when some teachers are being constantly undermined.

4. I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels like this! I am in my 11th year of teaching. I feel I develop good relationships with my children, but often go to pieces when I am observed, so satisfactory is usually the outcome. I am amazed how on top of things everyone else seems to be. I have not managed to get on top of things let alone get on top of things and have a life outside of school. Yes, of course it is a confidence issue, but you cannot just magic up confidence.. I just look at how far the children have come at the end of each year and what lovely little people they are and come to the conclusion that I must be doing something right!

5. the sad thing is that you are not alone in feeling so negatively about a job you take seriously . Far too often we look at others and think they have it right and we have it wrong .One thing I have finally realised is there are lots of staff who 'TALK UP' their achievements and when you see them for a couple of times teaching, you realise there is alot of empty show or just loud personality . Dont look to impress others; do the prep, teach as you would your own child and never say I'm not good enough.

6. What a lovely, kind and thoughtful reply.

7. I wonder... Are the students learning?
    Are parents complaining?
    Is your principal satisfied with your work?
    There's always room for improvement, however, we can also be our own worst enemy.
    Talk to a teacher who you see as competent, as a "first rate teacher.
    What are his/her "secrets to success"?
    Good luck! I wish you the best!

8. Dear GibbAgio
    I think we all go through times when we reflect and compare our skills, this is a good thing. I agree that it is not a competition, yet it often feels like one! You can not be an all dancing, all singing amazing teacher for every lesson you give, you will kill yourself with exhaustion, what you can do is give your best which I am sure you do. Do you still love your job after all these years? Then that will shine through. As for lessons plans, this makes me cross, the plans are suppose to be for you! You do not need to prove or justify yourself in lesson plans or demonstrate your knowledge and skills in the paper work, I have known teachers who produce the most amazing plans but they never have the time for them to actually filter through to the class, spend time with the children, not with the plans, the plans are there for you, to help you! A lot of people copy plans from internet sites, we may as well share, especially if planning for the same year groups. Lets face it, we have a very busy and fulfilling job, sharing the administration can help us all! Take Care.

9. Thanks Folks,
    Where have you been all my teaching career. What you people have taken a couple of minutes to point out I have never been told by a colleague. I have felt that to survive in the job you must be doing an alright job but never been told that by anyone. You're right about the self confidence aspect of the job. Confidence as a teacher opens so many possibilities.
    I find the most difficult aspect of my practice is knowing how you're doing from an outside perspective. I am finally starting to get an idea of how a lesson is rolling out and how I'm doing in terms of getting the knowledge out there.
    Teaching these days is pretty competitive though. It is nothing to get eighty plus applicants for a position and the young people with confidence and good looks often place ahead of grey hair and experience.
    Thanks again
    GibbAgio

10. Teaching is not a competition and job for comparison. teaching is a job about learning while at work! Does this make sense. And JUST remember, during all your learning, be your cool...YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE OF YOUR KIND IN THIS WORLS WHO HAPPENS TO BE...THUS A UNIQUE TEACHER.
    I have had situations where a school principal and her staff had to save themselves from being pinned by parents for choosing a bad word and I happened to relief teach that day explaining in detail and interpreting to the best of my ability "shot". Now they can't admit that it was thier plan adn therefore have blamed me for the bad choice of word "shot". I am under the Guillotine. For once I felt like "what am I doing teaching, lost my confidence and wanted to quit"..but I thought I will continue teaching until a quiet soft voice from deep within me will tell me to move on.
    SO HANG IN THERE!! TRY SOMEONE OF YOUR COLLEGUES STUFF AND DO THE REST YOU LOVE. RECALL YOUR FAVOURITE TEACHERS AND IMITATE THEM.

11. lozhbd

lozhbd New commenter

sadly agree,we don't teach,we train to pass exams.I'm not the best but i like the children and do my best in a world obsessed with results and white A4 paper....don't worry,ask those who criticize to show you an outstanding lesson to help you-wonder if they can?lol

12. What a great way to put it well done!

13. Pepper5 out of all the comments, your comment was most positive and encouraging. You are absolutely correct.

14. First of all you don't really don't say why you feel this way - it can't be from just observing other teachers because we all have our own strengths. What I'm not strong on, I praise myself for being an expert in another area. Simple. Not really a reason for thinking you're no good.

Also what grades have you had? Many with poor grades have ended up on sick leave or being counselled (TES provide an excellent service) , lost complete confidence, are having problems with personal relationships, don't have a life outside work, are depressed, etc... these I feels sorry for and have supported many. They're just trying to survive.

Listen to me carefully- there is no such thing as a 1st rate teacher, so do not waste your time chasing it or 'giving anything up' to achieve it. From my experience - yes the louder you shout in the staffroom/with management the more you're noticed - especially those 'braggers' that say what management want to hear - they always get a 1st. Get in closer with management etc, that usually gets you a 1st, also; observers opinions change like the wind - current trend in my establishment is that they like to hear 'stories' told to the pupils/students i.e. personal experiences, what twaddle! Also, the observers are numerous in my setting so Lord knows what they are looking for - even they disagree between themselves i.e. too much IT, not enough, too much story telling - not enough, too formal - too casual; and they all follow an observation check-list proforma.
    Yes I've bought the Ofsted books too and researched the web and even these have been challenged!! These can be interpreted in many different ways too - and I have challenged many observation outcomes, I have also taken copies of feed back to another off duty Ofsted inspector for further advice and they found my feedback and paperwork to be disturbingly unprofessional; as I did.
    So... what is the answer to being a 1st grade teacher - Lord knows. Incidently - for many years I received a 2 and this was with one or two observers that consistently observed me, they agreed on each other's methods and views, which were linked to Osted requirements. Now management has changed, you often have a fellow lecturer observe you - which is why everybody is being nicey nice to everybody in the staffroom!!