1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I seem to have tried everything....

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Sararie, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Having started in a y4 class at Easter - a class who have had a string of supplies, a teacher on long term sick and a stint with the male deputy who they seemed to like very much and now me, there is major behavioural issues from a class who seem to have had it their way for too long.
    I'm not looking for a long term solution, just something to get through the last half term.
    The class is rude and disrespectful to any adult they come into contact with. I take no nonsense and follow the school's sanction rules closely, with verbal warnings, sending children for time out, out of class, SLT and parental invovlement. I praise children doing the right thing, I award team points that they started with the Deputy before me, I started table points and then polite points with prizes and rewards.
    Now I know some people are thinking that I should be consistent with rewards but this class respond differently to my behaviour management strategies every day. Some days I never have to send anyone out, the rewards work really well and we have a good day. Other days nothing seems to work and I praise to high heaven, keep children in at play times and send repeat offenders out which they seem to love.
    Does anyone have any tips on how to keep my sanity for the last few weeks of school? "Keeping up with it" is not an option I'm afraid. I have also spent circle times and class assemblies discussing behaviour and setting up rules. The school is in special measures and we are due HMI any day.
    Many thanks for any ideas anyone may have.

2. It is difficult taking over an unsettled class towards the end of the year.
    I am not sure what I can add, but felt I needed to reply to give a bit of support. I've been in the job for more than 10 years. It gets better when the classes you get have seen you in the role as a teacher in the school, rather than a new teacher.
    I have few issues with my current class, but would make the same observation that my class can behave and react very differently from day to day. 'Stick with it' may not be a welcome bit of advice, but if they are acting in an unsettled way and also testing the boundaries because you are new, then being consistent is absolutely key, and I mean consistently rewarding the good behaviour (in whatever way, kids don't care, they just like a reward) and imposing whatever sanctions there are for the poor behaviour.
    You could look for patterns in behaviour compared to what you are doing. I often find that if I can start the day off in a positive way (praising a child for something when they first walk in the room etc) and being there ready for action with everything ready to go, then that can impact on the rest of my day.
    Good luck if HMI do roll in. The school hasn't got into special measures by your actions or by the behaviour of your class alone. And it will get better.

3. Thanks water fin. Your reply has actually really done wonders for my mentality. Tomorrow is a new day! A lot ofproblems start with lining up and getting into the classroom which I've been taking time to try and rectify every day. I need two of me - one to bring the class in and e other to bring up the rear of the line! Thanks again for your words of support x

4. No problem. One bit of advice we were given by a behaviour expert was to literally train the children, especially in the aspects that we seem to thing other classes and teachers take for granted. E.g. lining up.
    Explain what is expected and ask the children to give examples of things that are not acceptable...they will usually be able to tell you all of them! Then explain how you want them to line up and put time aside to practice it. Then heap praise upon those who do it well- I will stick a selection of stickers on the back of my hand or on my top so they are to hand for when I want to give them out. I set the challenge that I want to keep my stickers and that it is their job to try and win them off me. They love that, especially the child who wins my final sticker!
    Then practice it and practice it again. And once they've got it right, if they slip again (after a holiday for example) then do it again.
    Normally this is for the start of the year, but needs keeping on top of. For example, today as I led my class to assembly I heard a colleague reminding the class she has had all year (and she has excellent behaviour management!) how to walk to the hall.

And finally, it could always be worse. I remember reading on a(n American forum) that a teacher wished there was more than one of her when taking her class to the hall as she never managed it without one or more of her students making a run for it!)

5. When dealing with a kid that is having disciplinary problems, the first thing you need to do is stop, and examine yourself. We have to be very careful not to discipline a child out of anger. The best approach to confronting a child who needs to be disciplined, is to calmly sit down and talk to them. The more relaxed and calm you are the more likely the child will open up and talk to you. Punishment does not seem to have much of an effect on them. It seems like they test how far they can go every day Rules and expectations for students are repeated constantly at school and I reinforce this as well. I liked an idea. For teens, one effective option for many parents is a more long term option, the teen boarding schools.

6. But it absolutely must happen for the sake of the other students.