1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I see Zuckerberg is after our money now

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I read about Zuckerberg's latest attempt at world domination. He would have made a good villian in an Austin Powers movie. I don't really understand what the little ***** is up to. Is he still revenging the world for having the sand kicked in his face and being bullied by the "jocks" at school? I cannot understand what a "craptocurrency" (did I spell that right?) is, nor its function, nor especially why I would want anything to do with it. I want real money. I thought I would have a google to see if it could tell me why I should join faecebook. I found a "pros and cons", none of the pros were relevant to me, all of the cons were. When I published my books on Amazon, not using my real name because I assume some nerd has all my details somewhere, I tried to set up a faecebook account to go with the author stuff, but faecebook after an attempt at "verification" said I had broken their terms and conditions (eh?) and rejected me.

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Oh look!! Another chance for ner-do-wells to rip off the honest public to hack into accounts and steal cash. I don't care how much folks are told that everything will be safe, it won't be. :(

agathamorse and needabreak like this.
  3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It would certainly fit in with the 'disruption' narrative, whereby idealistic but naive billionaire techie nerds think they can change the world for the better by undermining the existing structures and boundaries in society. Rather well covered in the OU documentary series Secrets of Silicon Valley, which pops up from time to time on BBC4.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Ivartheboneless

Is Zuckerberg descended from those "immigrants" who arrived in Roswell in 1947?

racroesus likes this.
  5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

You're not bitter. ;)

6. Ivartheboneless

I'm not. I just didn't understand any of it, and my major point is that I see no need for Zuckercurrency, nor even faecebook. As people are leaving faecebook in droves (apparently) is this the Zuck trying to hang on. The whole mega-corporation data handling/stealing stuff is becoming more controversial. Perhaps people don't mind that political extremists can masquerade as them at the push of a button, because the hackers are always at least one step ahead of the big corps security systems.

7. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

isnt the break of the terms the fact you are using a fake name?

Wasn't this done as a response to try and turn Facebook away from the cesspit that Twitter became with really foul individuals making fake faceless accounts so they can spew hatred/bile/racism etc they wouldn't dare say from their own account ?

seems like you have just been a victim of a policy designed to make Facebook a little bit better - and i am not a fan

8. needabreak

Oh I agree and I don't do the fb thing anymore so won't be rejected and I'm not a bird so don't tweet, but that's me.

9. Ivartheboneless

Possibly, but how do they know? There is an email in that name, and that was all they asked for. How do other authors manage when using pen names, there are loads of them?

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

Cryptocurrency is going to be a requirement of future economic models. As AI "hacking" systems become more sophisticated, commonplace currency transactions are becoming less secure. It might be ten, twenty, or a hundred years, but it will get to the point that normal currency will be less secure than crypto varieties.

11. Ivartheboneless

Aren't they able to do fingerprint detection on phones now? Won't that be more secure? I do not think crypto stuff will be at all secure.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Nope, very insecure and regularly hacked.

13. colpee

colpee Star commenter

14. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I imagine it will become more stable and popular, but as it is just an iou note with nothing to back it up I doubt it will take over from flat currency.

The trouble is, the more popular it becomes the more it will be targeted. Block chain the fundamental component of cryptocurrencies is already being hacked. Plus we've quantum computing coming which will kill current encryptions.

Drinking Water is going to big a big currency of the future

knitone likes this.
  15. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I have two facebook accounts, one of them is a 'nom-de-plume'

Each of them has a separate email account. Perhaps you need to get a different email set up?
    (Not that I really use them much these days.)

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Theres me thinking Corbyn's party's propsal to take all the inheritance tax away from relatives except for a sum was some one after the money of ordinary folk!

17. needabreak

No that's just the rich... Or those deemed more wealthy using arbitrary means.

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

so if I have a house valued at a certain sum or a business, then my kids are limited to the amount offered. basically, the rest is taken back for the governments use. It's not just the rich who get hit by the proposal but the ordinary working man who often lives in a property which has risen in price due to no fault of his.Tough mate you can give a sizable donation to the socilist cause!
    You wonder why Labour makes itself even more unelectable!

needabreak likes this.
  19. needabreak

Quite. On these boards though people have said it's unearned income and why should our children have an unfair advantage when there are so many with so little, so wealth redistribution is key, while it would appear that fairness is very different depending on where you sit and look on from.

You aren't wrong in my view and it adds to my concerns over who to vote for, hence my party homeless status at present (though of course that's subject to change like so many others depending on who says things in my interest while hitting the middle ground), they are no longer my natural alignment since, it would appear you have to remain disadvantaged and on a very low income to see any benefit to you... The freehold land grab from under your house proposed recently (and discussed on these very boards) by the Labour "Think Tank" was pretty much the last straw for me.

20. Ivartheboneless

Talk about going off at a tangent .....

CraigCarterSmith and knitone like this.