1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I see they've dug up Engelbert Humperdink for Eurovision

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Mar 2, 2012.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Engelbert is to sing our entry in this year's Eurovision Song Contest. A novel approach to winning the contest as he is now 75. Apparently this is to be a masterstroke, intended to capture the votes of the entire silver-haired population of Europe. What do you think of our chances? What if he actually wins it? Will the programme dynamic change?

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Well he can't do any worse than the last few entries we have had.

3. ...... than the last 15 entries.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

As some of the voting countries are about 25 years behind in their musical tastes,I think this could be the one for the UK!

5. I like to think that it's an attempt to demonstrate the UK's utter contempt for the farce that Eurovision has become.
    'No one likes us, we don't care - and to prove it, here's Engelbert'.
    We'll probably win now! [​IMG]

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I think it's meant to show us that we can work till we drop. If Engelbert can do it so can we all. Let's raise the retirement age to 80.

7. I wonder if the choice is a sort of statement.
    'It's all a joke' ...... so we will go the whole hog, type of thing?
    All good luck to him. Go the Dinkster!

8. We should withdraw from this ridiculous event at once. It is utter ****. And no, we don't want him to win because then we have to host the bloody thing which costs loads of money. I HATE EUROVISION!

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I beleive that we pay a significant part of the cost of this competition wherever it is held (I think we pick up 25% of the tab). Given that every other TV station that shows it runs adverts and gets revenue from it I think that they should pay more. The BBC gets no revenue and has to pay for Graham Norton (used to be Terry Wogan) to go over there to provide filler while the rest of Europe and beyond watch their adverts.

What they could do is not show the songs but just the voting, that is the bit that most people watch.

10. anteater

anteater New commenter

" I see they've dug up Englelbert" - how unkind, mm! But it seems the man has now opened himself up to ridicule by accepting this poisoned chalice. Even the Radio 4 news refered to him as "paunchy." They then played his greatest hit, which I was surprised to learn was not in fact a Tom Jones song as I had always assumed.
    They have obviously changed the way our entrant is chosen; didn't we used to get to vote? Not that that made the quality of the song any better - just the responsibility for its general crapness became collective rather than the BBC being entirely to blame.

11. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

What kind of surgery did that involve?

12. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Graham Norton played Englebert singing 'A man without love' this morning and it took me back to when it was in the charts. I was ten years old.
    That, my friends, is how old this guy is - he was considered a bit wrinkly in those days and his records were bought principally by retired folk.

13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

He's not as old as I thought he was. I think he's always had an image of being older than he is, he must have been in his 30's when he first made it, but always had a relatively elderly audience.
    My grandmother was quite a fan so I associated him with her generation even though he was younger than my parents.

14. Middlemarch

I meant 'old' in the sense of 'not in the least bit contemporary', Mangle.
    He's a bizarre choice for Eurovision, given how much more 'modern' most of the songs entered are in recent years.

15. Here they go again: the BBC employing older men. Where are the older women, I ask?
    They should put together a mixed gender oldies group - Engelbert, Cliff, Shirley and Vera, perhaps.
    Tom's too cool.

16. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Englebert Humperdink was born Arnold George Dorsey. That he chose to change his name when he became a performing artist is not strange, Arnold George Dorsey doesn't really have that star quality ring to it.
    That he chose to change it to Englebert Humperdink suggests he has the kind of humour that delights in absurdity and is exactly what Eurovision is about.

17. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I understand he's been touring the Balkans in recent years and has gained some popularity there. It's about collecting votes from other countries, after all.

18. Middlemarch

Which the BBC appears to believe the residents of those countries won't see through at all. Their reasons for not voting for the UK are hardly likely to be overcome by the sight of Englebert.

19. It could be worse though - my Irish friend is distraught (ok slight exaggeration) at the thought of being represented for another year by Jedward.