1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I say, I say, I say...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Sep 20, 2020.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

For the first time in my life, a funny thing never happened to me on the way to the forum, but I found out they've got a library in town. Well they kept that quiet, didn't they?

Lara mfl 05, colpee and Dunteachin like this.
  2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

A fellow student at University didn't discover the library for 3 years!!

maggie m and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. modelmaker

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I spent lots of time in the Library at Uni - it was close to the canteen for a start but I lived miles away from campus so if I wanted a quiet place to work in the day then I went to the library.

I used to go early and grab one of those little private cubby holes (can't remember what they were called now).

needabreak and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

[QUOTE="modelmaker, post: 13265697, member: 195484" Well they kept that quiet, didn't they?[/QUOTE]
    They've been a bit shelvish.

6. modelmaker

[​IMG]

colpee likes this.
  7. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

Carrels. A carrel was originally a small enclosed space in a monastery cloister used for study,

colpee likes this.
  8. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

Leeds uni had a terrifying lift contraption in their library. You had to leap out at the right floor.

Feels like there should be a joke here. There isn't. Move along please.

9. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

I went back to college as a 'nature student'. I loved the carrels in the city library. A bit of peace and quiet.

10. gainly

gainly Star commenter

We had one of those in the engineering department. They are called paternosters, I'm not sure why.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You were a nude study?

Oscillatingass likes this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

[​IMG]

13. gainly

gainly Star commenter

When I was writing my D Phil thesis, I spent a lot of time in the science library. Most of the articles I needed to consult were in obscure journals, which had to be ordered up from the stack. Whilst waiting for them to arrive I would browse some of the journals on the open shelves. These included the complete Proceedings of the Royal Society, going right back to the time of Newton, which were far more interesting than the articles relevant to my work.

That is what you would miss by just finding the articles online.

maggie m and racroesus like this.
  14. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Cubby holes

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

That's a paternoster, they had one at Birmingham Poly. Daring part was to stay in after the top floor and go all over the top, likewise do the same at the bottom.

16. gainly

gainly Star commenter

We used to speculate whether you'd come out upside-down if you went over the top. You didn't of course. I wonder if they are still used, probably banned by health and safety.

17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

That's a shame-I like elevator jokes as they tend to work on so many different levels.

Paternosters-If I ever had a chance to go on a paternoster I'd take a lift in the downwards part doing a handstand just to prolong the myth for any bystanders who were too scared to use it..

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Incommunicado, blazer, gainly and 2 others like this.
  18. gainly

gainly Star commenter

If you found it terrifying you should have taken steps to avoid it.

Oscillatingass and blazer like this.
  19. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

From what I remember Leicester and Birmingham unis also had paternosters. One wonders how any ever got installed.

20. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Presumably you had to say a quick prayer as you jumped!