1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I really don't want to go

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Jan 2, 2011.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Tomorrow is a bank holiday.
    I think you'll find the school will be closed tomorrow!

2. Sadly (for me) I have a key!

3. I was convinced our fist day back was Wednesday rather than Tuesday. I know it's only one day I've 'lost' but I'm really tee'd off.[​IMG]

4. Could be open if Head decides to open...not that anyone would be expected to go in.

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I should bloody hope not. Anyone who goes to work on a Bank Holiday is a little bit loco.

6. I too am in tomorrow, preparing room for new carpets& lights. Is it odd that we all have keys to our school, and work whenever we want to / can?

7. Yes

8. lilachardy

I would think so!
    I'd not feel safe being the only one there... anybody could walk in" Though the chance of them finding me would be minimal I suppose. It wouldn't be good security though.

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

It seems odd to me. Why would you rather be at work than at home, when you are on holiday? I don't have a key to my school, nobody can get in unless the caretaker opens up and he doesn't work on Bank Holidays.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Very odd indeed.

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Indeed,very odd.

12. I've worked in 3 different schools where the teaching staff have had keys for access. I must be finding the odd schools!! There are 4 of us on the teaching staff who generally arrive at school before 6:30 in the mornings so we can't really rely on a caretaker to open up for us etc. Its quite a small school too, so i guess maybe that has an impact!!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

From a simple security point of view it seems ridiculous.
    (though it beggars the question of exactly what security there is in a school where everyone has a key)
    From the H&S point of view it also seems ridiculous.
    Schools ought to have named key holders who are responsible for opening the school in the event of fire/vandalism/theft - a bit tricky if everyone has a key.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Some people need to get a grip or a sense of perspective!

15. I don't know if I find this weirder than having keys to the school...seriously 6.30am?
    Please tell me you leave bang on the bell in the afternoon?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

In the event of a fire how the hell would the fire service know that someone is in the building?
    Somebody, somewhere needs a hard talking to.

17. Some of us have large families so tend to leave earlier after school and prepare / mark etc before school. I myself dont have a family, but am a musician and often have rehearsals or gigs in the evenings. This way i can leave when i want and not worry about what i have or havent done. Its the way i prefer to work, and have a great work / life balance!! I've always been an early riser, having grown up on a farm!!
    I suppose it is a bit odd, its just the way that works for us all - a bit like the keys!!!

18. When i said everyone i only meant the five teachers and head. Myself, and the rest of the SMT all live at least 30 mins from school (on a road that is treacherous in rain/ice/snow!!) so it is useful to have a couple of other people in the village with keys who can get access when we need it.

19. lilachardy

I actually would have no idea about where to get into my school. The front door is a sliding automatic door, so I don't think that's the initial access point.
    Interesting!

20. We can ask to stay later if needed but the rule is that there must be two of us in the building. Working alone in the school could present all sorts of safety issues. There is a working alone policy for the caretaker-is this in place in the school you mention?
    Back to the other issue of working tomorrow, I would go in if it was open - much easier to do the work there than at home I find as I need access to the resources. As it is, I will have to arrive earlier than I wanted to on Tuesday to get the resources I need.