1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I really don't like beetroot........any ideas to help me change my mind?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by SuzeJ, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Hello lovely cookery chums, as the title suggests I need some beetroot inspiration to help me change my mind!
    We've had 4 of them in our veg box today....I was thinking about using some for a cake? I think I read about using beetroot in a cake in an old Delicious magazine back copy. Now I know I could google recipes but would much prefer to hear about your favourite ideas with beetroot.
    Thanks, in anticipation [​IMG]

2. Hello lovely cookery chums, as the title suggests I need some beetroot inspiration to help me change my mind!
    We've had 4 of them in our veg box today....I was thinking about using some for a cake? I think I read about using beetroot in a cake in an old Delicious magazine back copy. Now I know I could google recipes but would much prefer to hear about your favourite ideas with beetroot.
    Thanks, in anticipation [​IMG]

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I love beetroot, although mostly the beetroot I eat what you probably dislike, pickled beetroot. It's actually quite different served as a veg accompanyment.
    Sadly, raw beetroot is a rarity on the supermarket shelves You should count yourself lucky you have some in your veg box. When I had half an hour to spend waiting for a bus earlier this year, I wandered into the Pound Shop and discovered they had packets of seeds containing around six different veg varieties or flowers for £1 so I bought a tenner's worth. I didn't plant them, but instead gave them to a dear friend. I noticed the beetroot appears to be doing exceptionally well. I'm hoping he will give me some when it's ready, and if he doesn't, I'll be inclined to nick it back.
    If you don't like beetroot, you might be unfamiliar with how to cook it. Cook it whole without peeling otherwise it will bleed and lose the flavour. When it's cooked, you rub off the skin with kitchen paper. We used newspaper when I was a kid, probably not a good thing. Printer paper is too stiff.

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

6. I was going to suggest beetroot chocolate cake too!

7. Thank you all for the recipe links. I'll definitely be making the cakes....it's my dad's birthday on Sunday so I'll be baking the beetroot chocolate cake for the occasion!
    Steffi, have you tried replacing the flour for GF? I'm going to give it a try, can't see why it wouldn't work.
    I normally give the veg box beetroot to a friend who loves them, however, this time I'm definitely going to use them.

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I made the beetroot chocolate cake for one of my friends birthdays a while ago using GF flour. It worked fine. Go for it!

9. Beetroot brownies are yummy and a gorgeous deep purple colour! May go and make some................

10. I've just made the beetroot and chocolate cake Si has posted this link to. It looks and smells amazing....thanks!

11. I love raw grated beetroot in salad.

12. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

I'm not a fan of pickled beetroot but love just plain cooked beetroot. Try it cooked and chilled, then in slices on a goat's cheese sarnie. You can also grate cooked bettroot into risotto for a fabulous purple colour!

13. Sounds lovely but my other food loathing apart from beetroot is goat's cheese! I made the beetroot and chocolate cake and everyone loved it. I'll definitely make it again.