1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I really admire these people...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by polly.glot, Nov 4, 2011.

1. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

A middle-aged couple of my acquaintance have been quiet benefactors to many children in their economically deprived community, by providing breakfast in the local school for children whose lives are truly the pits.
    I have just found out that when an elderly relative died recently and left them a substantial legacy, in consultation with their family and the school, they bought a house near the school and have turned it into a place where these kids can go after school for a hot drink and biscuits, help with homework, activities and generally a warm and supportive environment. Volunteers have joined the enterprise, baking snacks, providing books, computers, materials the kids might need for homework, and of course, supervision and support.
    I have so much admiration for these people who could, after all, have used the money to fund a life of luxury. I'm not sure that I would have such altruism in this situation.

2. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

A middle-aged couple of my acquaintance have been quiet benefactors to many children in their economically deprived community, by providing breakfast in the local school for children whose lives are truly the pits.
    I have just found out that when an elderly relative died recently and left them a substantial legacy, in consultation with their family and the school, they bought a house near the school and have turned it into a place where these kids can go after school for a hot drink and biscuits, help with homework, activities and generally a warm and supportive environment. Volunteers have joined the enterprise, baking snacks, providing books, computers, materials the kids might need for homework, and of course, supervision and support.
    I have so much admiration for these people who could, after all, have used the money to fund a life of luxury. I'm not sure that I would have such altruism in this situation.

3. That's amazing - I really admire them. Thank god there are people like that couple to help others. I hope that the relationship they have with the kids is worth more than any luxuries.

4. Yes, truly heartwarming. Most of us would use an inheritance to live the life of Riley (who was Riley?) or at least salt it away for future spending. Good on 'em.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

What a generous thing to do. It's a really good idea too. That kind of thing must be a real difference to kids who would otherwise go home to an empty house.

6. how wonderful- has cheered me up enormously!

7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

True charity. But how long before the council busybodies come prowling and inspecting?