1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I quite enjoyed seeing this:

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Geoff Thomas, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

When testing times tables, my year 6 teacher used to pull a hair out of a pupil's head, claiming the answer would come out with the hair:confused:
    How much compensation would I get for that?

3. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Really?... wow...

5. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

That's great :)

Can imagine a similar one in 2040

'Did your teacher once raise an eyebrow at you in a quizzical fashion? If so, you could be entitled to £££££££s!'

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

:)

"Were you not made to feel like an achiever when after a milliseconds thought you volunteered the answer "dunno" in lesson?"

"Were you below average in anything because you weren't taught right?"

rachelpaula008 and kibosh like this.
  7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Yes, honest! The faster we gave an answer, the faster he would pull a hair out so it hurt less. I became very speedy!

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Remarkable...

9. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Appalling.

10. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

I wonder if the teacher in question became an LEA Maths advisor prior to joining OFSTED?

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

In 1965, when I was in what-we-now-call Y2, I got my legs soundly slapped for not going to the toilet at playtime (I didn't need to go,the toilets were across the other side of the playground, it was peeing down with rain and what's more, I'd pulled out a loose tooth and was hoicking blood into the classroom sink).

I still occasionally reflect that it seemed a tad over the top.

12. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

I think it would be called abuse these days.

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I reckon you should get loads Baldy!

Geoff Thomas likes this.
  14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I still chuck the occasional piece of chalk at kids and threaten them that the board rubber will be next!

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Chalk?

;)

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I never suffered anything worse than writing lines when I was at school but my driving instructor used to slap me on the leg if I left my foot riding on the clutch. That was in 1976 and I was 21, I always keep my left foot on the floor unless I need it to change gear or brake though.

17. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

My mother (a primary school SEN teacher) demonstrated how to make a child stand up by getting hold of the hair just in front of their ear and pulling them up by it... she said it didn't leave any marks.

WOW, I can't believe I just wrote that! I did remember it all through my teaching years but never used the knowledge.

18. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

My Y6 teacher would test us on a Friday afternoon and we would have to hold our hand out as he strode around the room. If we weren't quick enough with the correct answer, we'd get a whack on the hand. This was in 1978.

I also remember him banging a child's head on his desk because he couldn't understand fractions.

19. Didactylos4

And it didn't
    It was one of the reasons why I insisted on a very short back and sides at the barbers

20. Didactylos4

It didn't work though
    The teacher used my ear instead